Painters and Decorators operate in domestic and commercial properties and undertake the decoration and protection of buildings. Properties include houses, schools, offices, hospitals factories and construction sites. Working internally or externally they work individually and/or as part of a team applying water-borne and/or solvent-borne paint coatings and wallcoverings. They have good knowledge of paint coatings and wallcoverings and understand and comply with statutory, safety and environmental requirements. They are responsible for their own work achieving a high quality finish at the appropriate pace. They are good problem solvers and communicators and are able to interact effectively with colleagues, clients and associated trades.
Identify and respond to customer needs
Construction Industry and Building Methods
Product and specification Information
Preparation and Application and Removal
Painters and Decorators will be expected to demonstrate:
- B1 Their responsibilities towards their own and others safety in the work place.
- B2 A strong work ethic, motivated, reliable and adaptable.
- B3 Attention to detail, quality and continuous improvement.
- B4 An awareness of the businesses mission, aims, markets, products and services.
- B5 A customer focused attitude.
- B6 Effective communication in a team, with clients or with management.
Duration: Typically 36 months. This timescale may reduce if an apprentice is part-qualified on entry.
English and Maths: Apprentices without Level 1 English and Maths will need to achieve this level and take the test for Level 2 English and Maths prior to taking the end point assessment.
Review Date: The standard will be reviewed in 3 years
This page contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v1.0. The information provider is the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education.