National Apprenticeship Service
As a Welding Apprentice you will be involved in using skilled techniques to make high strength joints between two or more parts. Using a range of welding processes and various metals, you will be required to meet the level of quality and inspection required in safety critical work.
What does the Apprenticeship involve?
- You’ll carry out various tasks ranging from pipe welding using gas tungsten arc welding through to structural welding using flux core arc welding techniques with the finished welds are often subjected to rigorous inspection and testing
- Structural Welders work on the main structures ranging from the outer hull and internal structures such as bulkheads and decking, to the missile tubes and Nuclear Reactor casing. All welding work undergoes rigorous testing to ensure it meets the high standards expected
- Pipe welders are trained in mirror welding and also semi – automatic machine pipe welding (orbital) and are responsible for welding large & small bore pipes in numerous materials
- As a Welding Apprentice you will therefore be required to consistently perform to high standards in order to ensure that the finished products function correctly, contributing to the safety
A great job after completion. Around 95% of our apprentices choose to stay with us and go on to have really successful careers. You can choose to go for promotion and progression or continue learning in the role you’ve moved into.
When you successfully complete your apprenticeship, we will help you to move into a suitable role, subject to the requirements of the business.
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week). For more information please visit: https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
A BAE Systems Apprenticeship gives you a competitive salary while working towards a nationally recognised qualification, the support of an apprentice network, and the opportunity to work on cutting edge projects with people who are leaders in their field.
Please see the selection process below:
The process consists of five stages:
- An online application
- Online test
- Application review
- Competency interview or assessment centre
- Medical and security checks
Depending on fulfilment of the requirements, the process can take until July/August to complete and final offers are made.
- We’re looking for enthusiastic people who are keen to learn and give an Apprenticeship opportunity their all
- Diversity strengthens our business and we encourage people from all walks of life to apply, regardless of gender or ethnicity
- You don’t need to know everything about your chosen area of work - we’ll train you and give you the qualifications you need to progress in a career in your chosen field. We only ask that you demonstrate interest, passion and commitment to what you want to do
5 GCSEs at grades A*-E/9-3 (or equivalent), including English, maths and Science/technical subject.
Training provider to be confirmed.
The apprentice will be working towards a Welding Standard at Level 3, Pipe or Plate.
Whilst working full-time, you will be provided with off-the-job training delivered in dedicated in-house training facilities or at our partner colleges or universities.
Sign up for apprenticeship alerts - its free