Weapon Technician - Engineering Technician Advanced Apprenticeship
DEFENCE, MINISTRY OF
- Arm aircraft with bombs, guided weapons, missiles and loading aircraft guns
- Maintain and repair ejection seats, aircraft gun systems and missile launchers
- Service and issue rifles, pistols, machine guns and heavier weapons like the mortars used by the RAF Regiment
Similar civilian roles include General light engineering or Electro-mechanical engineer.
After completing one year’s total service, you will be eligible for promotion to Senior Aircraftman, providing you pass a Trade Ability Test and Basic Trade Training. As you gain experience and complete your two Level 3 Diplomas and advanced apprenticeship, you will achieve Technician status. Further promotion to the rank of corporal and beyond is on merit by competitive selection. As you advance through the ranks, you will have the increased opportunity to lead and direct people, managing resources and manpower within your area of work to deliver the required outputs whilst maintaining and instilling the highest standards expected within the RAF. The diplomas and Apprenticeship that you can earn are as valuable in the civilian world as they are in the RAF. Furthermore, as an armament specialist and aircraft engineer in the RAF, the skills and qualifications you will have gained will place you in good stead for a wide range of employment fields when you leave the RAF.
To join the RAF you will also need to meet fitness, health, nationality, residency, and other criteria, details of which can be found on the RAF Recruitment website.
- Please view the eligibility criteira on the RAF Recruitment website
- 16–48 (Must attest before 48th birthday)
- Grade C or equivalent (Grade 4 to 5 with effect from Aug 17) or equivalent in English language, mathematics or SCE Standard Grades at Grade 2/Scottish National 5 in English, mathematics and an approved Science/Technology-based subject
- The link to a list of approved Science and Technology qualifications can be found on the RAF Recruitment role page
- Level 3 Extended Diploma in Aeronautical Engineering
- Level 3 Diploma in Aircraft Maintenance
Sign up for apprenticeship alerts - its free
About the employer
The Royal Air Force is the United Kingdom's aerial warfare force.
This page contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0. The information provider is the Education and Skills Funding Agency.