Our Warehouse teams are passionate about providing an accurate and high-quality service to our customers. Every day will create new challenges and we are looking for someone who can deliver the care and attention that we bring into everything we do at Next.
As a Warehouse Operative Apprentice, you will be offered full on-the-job training so no need to worry if you have never worked within a warehouse before! In addition, the apprenticeship training will underpin your development and provide an excellent platform for progression in the future.
• Working with precision to ensure the accurate and timely receipt, storage of stock, picking/packing and dispatch of stock to our branches and customers
• Ensuring your work area is always clean and tidy
• Communicating with both your colleagues and your Team Manager and effectively reporting any concerns when necessary
• Staying flexible and adaptable to the needs of the business – there may be opportunities to work in different departments or supporting other warehouse departments if the business requires it
• Working to measured and detailed work specifications and ensuring a timely, smooth flow of goods throughout the warehouse
• You will be expected to maintain a performance of 85% and above against your targets whilst maintaining accuracy and quality
• Carry out basic housekeeping duties within work areas
• *Please note that some warehouses may involve lifting 5KG boxes.
We also expect you to stay engaged with your colleagues and your manager by:
• Adhering to all company policies and procedures in place ensuring that standards are maintained at all times
• Promoting and participating in Fun, Fair and Reward activities within your department or on site
• Participating in and encouraging idea generation to benefit departments through STPs in line with Target Zero
This apprenticeship with Next is just the beginning. Not only will you be a part of a secure and growing business but with the apprenticeship training programme, you will have all the skills you need to develop a career with us.
In addition to this, we provide:
• A competitive hourly salary
• Hourly bonus incentives
• 25% discount on all Next merchandise
• 70% discount on branded items in our staff shops
• Amazing offers on holidays, cinema tickets and attractions through our corporate scheme
• Free uniform, free onsite parking and a subsidised canteen – open for breakfast, lunch and dinner!
Alongside your day to day work and training, you will be working towards your Warehouse Operative L2 standard qualification which will be delivered through a blended social learning experience. This includes but is not limited to 1-to-1 visits from your regional trainer, self-study, and remote visits.
The apprenticeship is a structured, learner and employer focused development programme which is designed to support you on your chosen career path. Once you are signed up onto the apprenticeship programme, you will be able to get students discounts through an NUS card and you will be earning money while studying towards a nationally recognised qualification.
Health and Safety
It will be your responsibility to:
• Ensure a flexible and common-sense approach to Health & Safety notifying Team Managers and/or other staff members of any type of hazard which cannot be dealt with by you
• Ensure through good communication and personal example that the objectives of the Next Safety Document are fully understood
• Ensure any accident or near miss is reported immediately to a Team Manager
We provide ongoing development and progression within Next to ensure you are always working towards the next stage of your career.
With the underpinning of the Warehouse Operative Apprenticeship Standard Level 2 qualification, there is further opportunity to continue your accredited qualifications as you progress with the business. From Warehouse Operative to Team Manager, to Assistant Site Manager, to Deputy Site Manager, Site Manager, General Manager and to Head of Warehousing, a clear progression pathway is right in front of you!
The key dates are to be used as a guide only. Should the right candidate be found, this vacancy may close early.
The current National Minimum Wage for an apprentice is £4.15 an hour. This rate applies to apprentices under 19 and those aged 19 or over who are in their first year. Apprentices must be paid at least the minimum wage rate for their age if they are aged 19 or over and have completed their first year. The minimum wage rates are £4.55 an hour for anyone under 18, £6.45 an hour for 18-20-year olds, £8.20 for anyone aged 21 to 24 and £8.72 for those over 25. Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that’s part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week). These rates apply from 1st April 2020.
Previous experience of working in a physically challenging job or within a warehouse is desirable but not essential.
If you are someone who loves a new challenge and wants to work in a fast-paced environment where no two days are ever the same, then this could be your next career move.
We are looking for someone who demonstrates:
o Team Working
o Customer/ Store Focus
o Communication skills
o Flexible approach (to work patterns and job rotation)
You will need the ability to work to tight timescales, but also prioritise and manage your own workloads. Working as part of a team is essential to daily life in our Next Warehouses but your ability to be able to work with your own initiative is also key.
No qualifications are required for this role, we do however ask that applicants have:
- Basic numeracy and literacy skills
- A proven ability to communicate effectively within a team
GCSE or equivalent in English and maths is desirable, but not essential.
Alongside this job role, you also will be studying towards your:
- Warehouse Operative Apprenticeship Standard L2
- Functional Skills in English and maths