At Next Distribution you will be working towards a Supply Chain Warehouse Operative Level 2 Apprenticeship standard over the course of 15 months.
Our teams are passionate about providing a high-quality service to our customers. Every day will create new challenges and we are looking for someone who can deliver the care and attention that we bring into everything we do at Next.
As a Warehouse Operative Apprentice, you will be offered full on-the-job training so no need to worry if you have never worked within a warehouse before! In addition, the apprenticeship training will underpin your development and provide an excellent platform for progression in the future. All of our Senior Managers started in warehousing.
- Although you will start at one of the Elmsall sites, there are several sites all linked, Elmsall Drive and Elmsall Way and you will be trained at both. They are next door to each other so don't worry about any travel
- Each site is different with a variety of automation and robotics
- The Elmsall Complex is our largest site and is the same size as 25 football pitches!
- You will be trained on a variety of areas of the process from the handling of goods coming into the operation to the picking and packing of goods for our customers, international and in the UK
- Your days tend to fly, and it is a physical job, so this is no boring office role
Warehousing these days is not as simple as it used to be and our senior teams at both sites will spend time with you to explain.
- How it all fits together Warehouse in terms of getting products to store/customer
- How we forecast seasonally
- Daily planning of operations
- Warehouse workflows i.e. how many areas of the warehouse, and hands handle an individual customer’s order
- All the areas of the Business you may want to build a career in the future; Transport, Engineering, Loss Prevention, IT and Systems, HR, to name a few
We want you to get the most from your apprenticeship:
- You will have a Team Manager to support you through your day to day activities, offer you advice and support your development
- You will also have the support of a Team Coach who will help train you on the different areas of the warehouses
- Don't forget you will also have your Apprenticeship Trainer who will help you with your learning too
- You will be allotted time to spend at home working on your apprenticeship, along with lots of practical on the job training from our Manager
This apprenticeship with Next is just the beginning. Not only will you be a part of a secure and growing business but with the apprenticeship training programme, you will have all the skills you need to develop a career with us. We want this apprenticeship to be your first step on a career with us. Once you have completed it there are roles working as a Team Coach, training and developing new people coming in. Alternatively, you could apply for roles as an Engineering Apprentice or as a Trainee Team Manager. 70% of all our Team Managers were promoted from within.
In addition to this, we provide:
- A competitive hourly salary
- Hourly bonus incentives
- 25% discount on all Next merchandise
- 70% discount on branded items in our staff shops
- Amazing offers on holidays, cinema tickets and attractions through our corporate scheme
- Free uniform, free onsite parking and a subsidised canteen - open for breakfast, lunch and dinner!
Alongside your day to day work and training, you will be working towards your Warehouse Operative L2 standard qualification which will be delivered through a blended social learning experience. This includes but is not limited to 1-to-1 visits from your regional trainer, self-study, and remote visits.
The apprenticeship is a structured, learner and employer focused development programme which is designed to support you on your chosen career path. Once you are signed up onto the apprenticeship programme, you will be able to get students discounts through an N.U.S. card and you will be earning money while studying towards a nationally recognised qualification.
Health and Safety.
It will be your responsibility to:
- Ensure a flexible and common-sense approach to Health & Safety notifying Team Managers and/or other staff members of any type of hazard which cannot be dealt with by you
- Ensure through good communication and personal example that the objectives of the Next Safety Document are fully understood
- Ensure any accident or near miss is reported immediately to a Team Manager
We provide ongoing development and progression within Next to ensure you are always working towards the next stage of your career. With the underpinning of the Warehouse Operative Apprenticeship Standard Level 2 qualification, there is further opportunity to continue your accredited qualifications as you progress with the business. From Warehouse Operative to Team Manager, to Assistant Site Manager, to Deputy Site Manager, Site Manager, General Manager and to Head of Warehousing, a clear progression pathway is right in front of you!
The key dates are to be used as a guide only. Should the right candidate be found, this vacancy may close early.
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
The Apprenticeship National Minimum Wage guide is updated every April (ANMW): https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
Previous experience of working in a physically challenging job or within a warehouse is desirable but not essential.
- Communication skills
- Team Working
If you are someone who loves a new challenge and wants to work in a fast-paced environment where no two days are ever the same, then this could be your next career move. We are looking for someone who demonstrates:
- Customer/ Store Focus
- Flexible approach (to work patterns and job rotation)
You will need the ability to work to tight timescales, but also prioritise and manage your own workloads. Working as part of a team is essential to daily life in our Next Warehouses but your ability to be able to work with your own initiative is also key.
No qualifications are required for this role, we do however ask that applicants have: - Basic numeracy and literacy skills - A proven ability to communicate effectively within a team GCSE or equivalent in English and maths is desirable, but not essential.
Alongside this job role, you also will be studying towards your:
- Warehouse Operative Apprenticeship Standard L2
- Functional Skills in English and maths