What will the apprentice be doing?
As Volvo Truck & Bus training provider, Remit are recruiting for an apprentice Heavy Vehicle Service & Maintenance Technician for their Worton Grange, Reading depot to start this August. There is a lot involved in keeping HGVs on the road, so you will gain full understanding of the importance of 6-week checks, Operators (O) licence’s and legal obligations and as a Technician apprentice, you will receive training to the manufacturer and DVSAs standard. The Heavy Vehicle Technicians jobs fall into three main categories:
- Servicing – regular preventive checks in accordance with DVSA regulations
- Maintenance – replacing any parts showing signs of wear and tear, oil changes etc
- Repairs – repair or replacing anything damaged or faulty.
- With the increase in technology involved with vehicles today, you will also receive extensive training in how to use Volvo’s diagnostic equipment to solve faults in the Engine Control Unit (ECU)
Your training won’t be restricted to just the mechanical side but will include the pneumatic, hydraulic and electrical systems and ‘all electric’ vehicles as well as hybrids. The types of vehicles you’ll be working on will range from tractor units and rigid trucks through to specialist vehicles and trailers.
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
Training is delivered in the workplace and on block release to Remit’s Automotive Academy in Derby. There are a total of 15 x 1 week blocks over the 3 year programme. The costs of hotel accommodation, food and travel are met by the employer and there will be no cost to you.
You will also receive 1-2-1 support from your Development Coach to help you achieve:
• IMI Heavy Vehicle Service and Maintenance Technician Level 3
• Functional Skills Level 2 in English & Maths (if required)
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
As an apprentice, you will be a full time employee from the very beginning and while training you’ll be earning your place as an integral part of the workshop team. Once you have achieved your qualification, you will have further opportunities to progress to positions such as Shift Supervisor or Service Manager.
Skills RequiredEnthusiasm to learn, Mechanically minded
Qualifications RequiredGCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade 3/D) Essential
GCSE or equivalent English (Grade 3/D) Essential