Hartshorne Motor Services are one of Volvo Trucks largest dealers and as their training provider, Remit are recruiting for an apprentice Heavy Vehicle Service & Maintenance Technician for their Erdington, Birmingham depot to start this August.
Have you always had an interest in engineering? Do you love finding out how things work and how to repair them? This apprenticeship might be exactly what you’re looking for.
Whether it’s been a lifelong dream or a more recent ambition, why not apply?
There is a lot involved in keeping HGVs on the road, so you will gain full understanding of the importance of 6-week checks, Operators (O) licence’s and legal obligations and as a Technician apprentice, you will receive training to the manufacturer and DVSAs standard.
The Heavy Vehicle Technicians jobs fall into three main categories:
- Servicing - regular preventive checks in accordance with DVSA regulations
- Maintenance - replacing any parts showing signs of wear and tear, oil changes etc.
- Repairs - repair or replacing anything damaged or faulty
With the increase in technology involved with vehicles today, you will also receive extensive training in how to use Volvo’s diagnostic equipment to solve faults in the Engine Control Unit (ECU).
Your training won’t be restricted to just the mechanical side but will include the pneumatic, hydraulic and electrical systems and ‘all electric’ vehicles as well as hybrids.
The types of vehicles you’ll be working on will range from tractor units and rigid trucks through to specialist vehicles and trailers.
As an apprentice, you will be a full time employee from the very beginning and while training you’ll be earning your place as an integral part of the workshop team. Once you have achieved your qualification, you will have further opportunities to progress to positions such as Shift Supervisor, Service Manager or even Master Technician.
Closing Dates: Please submit your application along with your CV as soon as possible to avoid disappointment; we reserve the right to close vacancies prior to the published closing date if we receive a sufficient number of applications Recruitment Process: If you are among the shortlisted candidates, you will be invited to attend an online presentation to discuss the opportunity in greater detail. Following that, you will be required to complete online English and maths assessments before your application is submitted to the employer.
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week). For more information please visit: https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
- You will need to be comfortable with a wide range of vehicles such as trucks, buses, agricultural machinery and plant equipment. Being a Heavy Vehicle technician requires a reasonable level of physical strength and stamina
- A logical approach to problem-solving
- An enthusiasm to learn new practical and theoretical skills
- Good practical skills
- Punctuality and good time keeping
- Workplace maturity and professionalism
- Proactive attitude
- Can work to a high standard
- No previous automotive qualifications are required
- You must have GCSE 9-4/A*-C or Functional Skills Level 2 in English and maths and we will support you to help develop your knowledge further
- Predicated grades are acceptable
This is a Volvo Heavy Vehicle Service & Maintenance Manufacturer Apprenticeship programme, delivered by Remit Training.
Awarding Body: Institute of the Motor Industry (IMI).
Training is delivered in the workplace and on block release at Remit's dedicated Heavy Vehicle Academy in Derby. There are a total of 17 blocks over the 34 month programme, which are split between 2 days of virtual classes and 3 days in Derby. The costs for accommodation, food and travel are met by the employer and there will be no cost to you.
You will also be assigned a dedicated Development Coach who will give you 1-2-1 support and guidance to help you achieve the following IMI qualifications.
As a result, you will receive the following qualification:
- Heavy Vehicle Service and Maintenance Technician Level 3
- Functional Skills Level 2 in English & maths (if required)