You're graduating or wanting a new change? How about:
- Full study support to gain a globally recognised qualification
- On the job training and practical experience in a friendly and supportive national VAT team
- Face to face contact with decision makers early on
- A career within a national organisation, with access to a global network of 30,000 people across 147 countries
- Working with a wide range of entrepreneurs, owner managed businesses and subsidiaries of large international groups
Who are we?
We're a dedicated team of like-minded VAT professionals, servicing the needs of a growing base of medium sized and large entrepreneurial businesses. As a member of one of the largest international accountancy associations in the world, a large amount of work we do addresses cross border VAT issues as well as other indirect tax matters, such as customs duty.
We are ranked among the UK's top 15 accountancy firms, therefore our varied client base is able to benefit from a high level of technical expertise which we are able to provide.
In 2019 alone, we won National Firm of the Year, Tax Team of the Year and Graduate and Non-Graduate programme of the Year at the British Accountancy Awards, we internationally re-branded, and we grew substantially with a few high-profile mergers. It's an exciting time to join the firm!
You will have contact with other members of the business from the very start, that is why your ability to build great business relationships is so important.
What will I do?
As a VAT Tax Apprentice, you will start off by learning the fundamentals, including carrying out technical VAT research, advising clients on their VAT liabilities and negotiating with HM Revenue & Customs.
As your technical knowledge, commercial acumen and confidence grow, you will have the opportunity to become a trusted advisor to your clients.
We will make sure you have the right experience, personal development and training to make your career stimulating and rewarding. We will carefully balance your practical experience to reinforce your professional training. Combined, these two crucial elements will help you achieve your qualification.
Along with your peers, you will be assigned mentors who will support and guide you as well as dedicated who will ensure your progress and development is on track.
Our Tax Apprentices come from a variety of different academic and cultural backgrounds.
We can offer a structured career path for those with ambition and the determination to develop a career in the profession.
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
For more information please visit: https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office packages e.g. Word, Excel and Outlook are essential
- Good numeracy skills
- Great verbal and nonverbal communication skills
- Able to build strong relationships
- Attention to detail
- Takes pride in work and delivering outstanding service
- An ability and passion to solve complex problems
We do not require Tax Apprentices to have a business or financial background. However, we do ask that applicants for our Tax trainee programme have achieved or are predicted to achieved at least 112 UCAS points (based on the new 2017 UCAS Tariff) from 3 A-Levels, or equivalent, all achieved during the same exam year. This excludes General Studies.
We also ask that graduate applicants have either achieved or are working to achieve at least a 2:1 at university.
Degree Level Accountancy Taxation Professional apprenticeship standard.
Studying towards the CTA qualification, you’ll develop an overall understanding of tax whilst being able to specialise in a particular tax area. Upon qualifying, you can apply to become a member of the Chartered Institute of Taxation and become a Chartered Tax Adviser. Access to the qualification is open to anyone and there is no requirement to have a prior qualification.
In order to gain your CTA qualification you must:
- Select and complete two Advanced Technical papers. The Advanced Technical papers require the most detailed knowledge and ideally reflect your chosen specialism
- Select and complete three Awareness modules. The Awareness modules selected must not be the same subject as the Advanced Technical Papers you select. Exemptions are available for certain qualifications
- Complete the Application and Professional Skills paper in your chosen specialism
- Complete Accounting, Law and Ethics Computer Based Exams. You are exempt from Accounting, Law and Ethics at CTA if you passed the CBE at ATT