What will the apprentice be doing?
You will work as in integral member of the Ship's Company and a proud representative of the Submarine Service.
- Operating the various Tactical systems assisting in all aspects of submarine warfare.
- When on the surface you will act as the Radar operator and as part of the Ship's Protection Force be trained in the use of weaponry, such as the 5.56mm rifle and General-Purpose Machine Gun (GPMG), designed to protect the submarine and its Ship's Company in all areas around the globe.
- Using your expert knowledge gained during world class training, you will use some of our most advanced equipment to identify and track any contact (friend or foe), passing your assessments to the Warfare Officer who will use them to make key decisions.
- Whether you're at sea providing our nation's nuclear deterrent, hunting other submarines or on exercise in domestic waters, the work you do is vital to the navigation and warfare capabilities of your submarine
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
When you have completed your training you will be a qualified Warfare Specialist (Submariner) (Data Technician)
- You’ll start your naval career as an Able Rate. With experience and further training, you could be promoted to Leading Hand and beyond.
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
If you show the right commitment, skills and academic ability, you could become a Commissioned Officer. Members of the Royal Navy are promoted on merit. Work hard and you can rise through the ranks
Reality CheckAt the end of your Apprenticeship training you will have achieved: • Level 3 Apprenticeship – Data Technician You can also gain academic qualifications such as GCSEs, A-levels, even a degree. As well as helping you develop your Royal Navy career, everything you achieve will be recognised and valued by future civilian employers.
Skills RequiredCommunication skills, IT skills, Attention to detail, Organisation skills, Problem solving skills, Presentation skills, Number skills, Analytical skills, Logical, Team working, Creative, Initiative, Non judgemental, Patience
Qualifications RequiredGCSE or equivalent Math and English (Grade GCSE Level C/4) Desired