You will work as in integral member of the Ship's Company and a proud representative of the Submarine Service.
- Operating the various Tactical systems assisting in all aspects of submarine warfare
- When on the surface you will act as the Radar operator and as part of the Ship's Protection Force be trained in the use of weaponry, such as the 5.56mm rifle and General Purpose Machine Gun (GPMG), designed to protect the submarine and its Ship's Company in all areas around the globe
- Using your expert knowledge gained during world class training, you will use some of our most advanced equipment to identify and track any contact (friend or foe), passing your assessments to the Warfare Officer who will use them to make key decisions
- Whether you're at sea providing our nation's nuclear deterrent, hunting other submarines or on exercise in domestic waters, the work you do is vital to the navigation and warfare capabilities of your submarine
- You’ll start your naval career as an Able Rate. With experience and further training, you could be promoted to Leading Hand and beyond
- If you show the right commitment, skills and academic ability, you could become a Commissioned Officer. Members of the Royal Navy are promoted on merit. Work hard and you can rise through the ranks
Training and development continues throughout your career with the Royal Navy. It takes place in two distinct environments: at onshore training facilities and on board operational submarines. When you join you complete 10 weeks of basic naval training, followed by a further four months at HMS Raleigh in the Submarine School. You’ll learn about submarine operations, including warfare, weapons, nuclear propulsion and escape training, and go to sea in a submarine. After this, there’ll be a test to check your knowledge. When you pass, you’ll earn your ‘Dolphins’ – the coveted badge of a qualified Submariner.
There are many benefits of undertaking an Apprenticeship within the Royal Navy, such as:
Start on a salary of over £15,600, rising to £20,000 on completion of your role specific training. As your career progresses you have the potential to earn in excess of £51,000
- A £5,000 bonus for earning your ‘Dolphins’, the mark of the Submarine Service
- Additional Submariner pay each day at sea when fully qualified
- An excellent pension scheme
- Six weeks of paid holiday every year
- Free medical and dental care
The Royal Navy will give you skills. We’ll develop your abilities, train you to be the best, show you how to achieve your goals and give you recognised qualifications
- Reliability and a willingness to learn
- First-class at working within a team
- A high level of physical and mental fitness
- An adventurous spirit
No qualifications required – just that you pass a Recruit Test and are in a good state of health and fitness.
At the end of your Apprenticeship training you will have achieved:
Level 3 Apprenticeship – Data Technician
You can also gain academic qualifications such as GCSEs, A-levels, even a degree. As well as helping you develop your Royal Navy career, everything you achieve will be recognised and valued by future civilian employers.