What will the apprentice be doing?
There are four sub-specialisations for Warfare Specialist:
- Above water Warfare Tactical: You will work with some of the most advanced and sophisticated RADAR and Computer Systems on the planet.
- Above water Warfare Weapons: You will be trained to operate state-of-the-art weapon and missile systems.
- Electronic Warfare: You will operate specialist equipment to assist to intercept and analyse electromagnetic (RADAR) emissions to determine their identity.
- Underwater Warfare: You will become the Royal Navy's 'Submarine Hunters', trained in how to operate the most advanced SONAR systems.
We will teach you to thrive in a high-pressure situation
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
When you have completed your training you will be a Royal Navy - Warfare Specialist (Data Technician)
You’ll start your naval career as an Able Rate. With experience and further training, you could be promoted to Leading Hand and beyond
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
If you show the right commitment, skills and academic ability, you could become a Commissioned Officer. Members of the Royal Navy are promoted on merit. Work hard and you can rise through the rank.
Training and development continues throughout your career with the Royal Navy. It takes place in two distinct environments: at onshore training facilities and on board operational ships. When you join you complete 10 weeks of basic naval training, followed by a further three months at the Maritime Warfare School, where your training includes:
- Setting up and operating systems that monitor the surface and air space.
- Gaining information about flight paths, landmarks and shorelines.
- Learning to detect and report radio jamming.
- Using radio circuits to pass vital information.
- Gaining hands-on experience of life on board a warship
Reality CheckWe recruit throughout the year, so please ignore Key Dates. To find out more information including eligibility to join, and to begin your application call into one of our Careers offices or visit the Royal Navy Recruitment website.
Skills RequiredCommunication skills, IT skills, Attention to detail, Organisation skills, Problem solving skills, Presentation skills, Administrative skills, Number skills, Analytical skills, Logical, Team working, Creative, Initiative, Non judgemental, Patience
Qualifications RequiredGCSE or equivalent Math and English (Grade GCSE Level 4) Desired