There are four sub-specialisations for Warfare Specialist:
- Above water Warfare Tactical: You will work with some of the most advanced and sophisticated RADAR and Computer Systems on the planet.
- Above water Warfare Weapons: You will be trained to operate state-of-the-art weapon and missile systems.
- Electronic Warfare: You will operate specialist equipment to assist to intercept and analyse electromagnetic (RADAR) emissions to determine their identity.
- Underwater Warfare: You will become the Royal Navy's 'Submarine Hunters', trained in how to operate the most advanced SONAR systems.
- You’ll start your naval career as an Able Rate. With experience and further training, you could be promoted to Leading Hand and beyond
- If you show the right commitment, skills and academic ability, you could become a Commissioned Officer. Members of the Royal Navy are promoted on merit. Work hard and you can rise through the ranks
Training and development continues throughout your career with the Royal Navy. It takes place in two distinct environments: at onshore training facilities and on board operational ships. When you join you complete 10 weeks of basic naval training, followed by a further three months at the Maritime Warfare School, where your training includes:
- Setting up and operating systems that monitor the surface and air space
- Gaining information about flight paths, landmarks and shorelines
- Learning to detect and report radio jamming
- Using radio circuits to pass vital information
- Gaining hands-on experience of life on board a warship
There are many benefits of undertaking an Apprenticeship within the Royal Navy, such as:
Start on a salary of over £15,600, rising to £20,000 on completion of your role specific training. As your career progresses you have the potential to earn in excess of £51,000
- Six weeks of paid holiday every year.
- An excellent pension scheme
- Six weeks of paid holiday every year
- Free medical and dental care
The Royal Navy will give you skills. We’ll develop your abilities, train you to be the best, show you how to achieve your goals and give you recognised qualifications
- An ability to thrive in high-pressure situations; we will teach you to thrive in a high-pressure situation
- A passion for life at sea
- A real sense of adventure, with a high level of physical and mental fitness
No qualifications required – just that you pass a Recruit Test and are in a good state of health and fitness.
At the end of your Apprenticeship training you will have achieved:
Level 3 Apprenticeship – Data Technician
You can also gain academic qualifications such as GCSEs, A-levels, even a degree. As well as helping you develop your Royal Navy career, everything you achieve will be recognised and valued by future civilian employers.