You’ll be part of an indispensable close-knit team of logisticians who ensure your colleagues and crewmates all over the world have what they need to be operationally effective, whether they’re delivering humanitarian aid or deployed on a combat mission. That means everything from bullets to bed linen, to fuel and food. Without you, global naval operations would literally grind to a halt.
Learn about managing a complex global supply chain, and how to source the items you need, all over the world.
Learn additional skills as an Incident Board operator, helping damage-control teams fight fires and floods.
You’ll start your naval career as an Able Rate. With experience and further training, you could be promoted to Leading Hand and beyond. If you show the right commitment, skills and academic ability, you could become a Commissioned Officer. Members of the Royal Navy are promoted on merit. Work hard and you can rise through the ranks.
Training and development continues throughout your career with the Royal Navy. It takes place in two distinct environments: at onshore training facilities and on-board operational ships. When you join you complete 10 weeks of basic naval training, followed by 14 weeks of role-specific training, focussing on:
- Responsibility of the duty SC
- Healthy and Safety
- Defence Equipment and Support Organisation
- Manual handling and personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Type of Storerooms
- Security of storerooms
- Customer Contact/ Services
- Sources of Supply
- Prioritising Demands
There are many benefits of undertaking an Apprenticeship within the Royal Navy, such as:
Start on a salary of over £15,600, rising to £20,000 on completion of your role specific training. As your career progresses you have the potential to earn in excess of £51,000
- An excellent pension scheme
- Six weeks of paid holiday every year
- Free medical and dental care
The Royal Navy will give you skills. We’ll develop your abilities, train you to be the best, show you how to achieve your goals and give you recognised qualifications
- The ability to thrive on responsibility
- Confidence making decisions in high-pressure situations
- A problem-solver, with a common-sense approach, who can work well as part of a team
- A real sense of adventure, with a high level of physical and mental fitness
- No qualifications required – just that you pass a Recruit Test and are in a good state of health and fitness
On completion of your role specific training you will achieve a Level 2 Health and Safety at work Certificate.
At the end of your Apprenticeship training you will have achieved:
Intermediate Apprenticeship – Supply Chain Warehouse Operative
You can also gain academic qualifications such as GCSEs, A-levels, even a degree. As well as helping you develop your Royal Navy career, everything you achieve will be recognised and valued by future civilian employers.