Work on vessels at the forefront of our nation’s defence: a Vanguard class ballistic missile submarine (our nuclear deterrent) or an Astute class attack submarine.
Using cutting-edge comms kit, you’ll be handling extremely confidential data, including highly classified intelligence and personally sensitive crewmate information.
Operate, maintain, diagnose and repair global communication systems, to guarantee the safe transmission of information.
Find a solution to whichever problem comes your way, working with your team in challenging environments and high-pressure situations.
You’ll start your naval career as an Able Rate. With experience and further training, you could be promoted to Leading Hand and beyond. If you show the right commitment, skills and academic ability, you could become a Commissioned Officer. Members of the Royal Navy are promoted on merit. Work hard and you can rise through the ranks.
Training and development continues throughout your career with the Royal Navy. It takes place in two distinct environments: at onshore training facilities and on board operational submarines. When you join you complete 10 weeks of basic naval training, followed by another five months at the Submarine School. As well as your specialist communications skills, you’ll learn about submarine warfare, weapons, nuclear propulsion and escape training, then go to sea in a submarine.
You’ll also be trained for important peacetime tasks on shore, including berthing the submarine and guarding the vessel with a rifle when you’re in port. At the end of your training, there’ll be an exam to test your knowledge. When you pass, you’ll win your ‘Dolphins’ – the coveted badge of a qualified Submariner – and join one of the world’s elite fighting forces.
There are many benefits of undertaking an Apprenticeship within the Royal Navy, such as:
Start on a salary of over £15,600, rising to £20,000 on completion of your role specific training. As your career progresses you have the potential to earn in excess of £51,000.
- A £5,000 bonus on being awarded your Dolphins – the mark of a qualified Submariner
- Additional Submariner pay each day at sea once you’re qualified
- An excellent non-contributory pension scheme – we pay into it for you, so you don’t have to sacrifice any salary
- Six weeks of paid holiday every year
- Free medical and dental care
- Support as you study – we’ll make a significant contribution towards GCSEs, Masters degrees, and everything in between
- Handy discounts with lots of top brands, from Marriott hotels to Audi cars and high street stores
- Amazing opportunities, including world travel and adventurous training for two weeks every year
- Free gym and sports, from football to kayaking to kite-surfing
The Royal Navy will give you skills. We’ll develop your abilities, train you to be the best, show you how to achieve your goals and give you recognised qualifications.
- A quick thinker, with a passion for working with the latest equipment and technology
- A problem-solver, with a common sense approach, who can work well as part of a team
- A real sense of adventure, with a high level of physical and mental fitness
- Enthusiasm for networks, information systems and communications
No qualifications required – just that you pass a Recruit Test and are in a good state of health and fitness.
At the end of your Apprenticeship training you will have achieved:
- Level 2 Apprenticeship – Maritime Electrical / Mechanical Mechanic
- Level 2 Diploma in Maritime Electrical / Mechanical Mechanics (Competence)
- Level 2 Diploma in Maritime Electrical / Mechanical Mechanics (Knowledge)
You can also gain academic qualifications such as GCSEs, A-levels, even a degree. As well as helping you develop your Royal Navy career, everything you achieve will be recognised and valued by future civilian employers.