You will undertake a series of rotational placements in the methods of developing electrical and mechanical systems, covering:
- Software Engineering
These will include:
- Learning the methods of developing electrical and mechanical systems
- Designing mechanical components and assemblies using CAD
- Being in a laboratory to test and develop cutting-edge PCB assemblies
You will be working within cutting-edge facilities and there may be opportunities for travel between the Company’s UK sites to meet with colleagues, customers and suppliers.
Years 1 and 2:
During your first year, you will spend most of your time at college completing the foundation phase level 2 of the Engineering Technician standard. Upon completion, you will return to Leonardo to start your three-month rotational placements, while keeping a log of all the work you complete which will then be used towards your apprenticeship. During your second year you will attend college on a day release basis to complete the knowledge qualification of your level 3 apprenticeship and continue with your rotational placements.
Years 3 and 4:
In your 3rd year, you will get more involved in specific projects and become a key member of the team/departments you are rotating through. Your 3rd year will also see you through the workplace assessment phase of your apprenticeship by completing the competence qualification of your apprenticeship. Alongside this, you will also attend college on day release. For your final year, you will be selected through a combination of interview and academic/vocational progress to focus your development in a final work placement that lasts for the remainder of the apprenticeship.
Leonardo values people with a passion for technical analysis, judgement and problem-solving.
We reward commitment with a competitive remuneration and flexible benefits package including:
- Competitive starting salary
- Annual incremental pay increases
- 33 days holiday and flexible working arrangements
- Pension scheme (Contributory)
- Cycle to Work initiative
A career in the defence industry rewards over 162,000 people and generates a £22 billion turnover. Come and be a part of a community and work with some of the most talented engineers in the UK on some of the most exciting projects around.
Don’t delay - these roles attract high competition so APPLY NOW to avoid disappointment. When applying on HireVue please select App level 3 STEM.
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
- Ability to achieve high performance
- Want continuous improvement
- Develop customer focus
- Able to work together
- Demonstrate self-awareness and confidence
- Please note that in order to apply for this opportunity you must be eligible for UK Security Clearance. Normally this is to the level of Security Check (typically known as “SC”) for our business
- 5 x GCSE grades 9-4 or grades A*-C or equivalent (e.g. Functional Skills Level 2) to include English Language, maths and Science
Leonardo prides itself on recruiting the very best. Our companies run flourishing graduate and apprentice schemes for some 400 people nationwide.
We actively participate with other educational and engineering partners to help shape and develop the training and qualifications we offer to ensure that our future apprenticeship schemes continue to meet the expectation of our applicants and to match local and national standards.
Boasting a current retention rate that has seen 95% of apprentices stay with our companies at the end of their schemes, Leonardo understands that the future of its high-tech business rests in the hands of the next generation of engineers.
- Level 3 Diploma in AME
- BTEC level 2 foundation competence
- BTEC level 3 development competence
- BTEC level 3 development technical knowledge