What will the apprentice be doing?
- To support the teacher in the classroom and in other learning environments/activities e.g. swimming pool, P.E. to enable children to make the most of their learning opportunities
- To attend to the pupils’ personal requirements , physical care and therapy needs on a daily basis, including moving and handling children as necessary (following training)
- To manage pupils’ behaviour in line with school policy and procedures, following pupils’ individual Behaviour Management Plans and Strategies.
- To supervise pupils during break and lunch time as appropriate to support teachers and Senior Teaching Assistant: encouraging pupils to be physically active and to play
- To contribute to the organisation of classroom resources to ensure effective classroom management
- To encourage independence at all times
- To undertake specific tasks with individuals or small groups of pupils
- To assist on outings and school trips on foot or in the Minibus
- To be aware of school policies and support the implementation of these policies
- To record pupils’ progress on appropriate recording charts
- To work within the specific hours designated by the post Note:
Teaching Assistants are welcome to attend any relevant staff meetings
This post will entail working with children between the ages of 2 and 11 who will potentially require any or all of the following;
- Personal Care, i.e.
Administration of medication and or medical interventions, i.e.
- Gastrostomy feeds
- Administering oral medication, (always with supervision by another trained adult)
All these would be after specific training by medically trained staff and carried out under their supervision until such time as their competencies were signed off and the staff member is confident to carry them out.
Administration of Therapies, i.e.
- Carrying out therapy programmes provided by the relevant therapist including Hydrotherapy programmes.
Management of Challenging Behaviour, i.e.
- Using registered and County approved physical interventions.
Moving and Handling of pupils / students, i.e.
- Therapy input
Delivery of the wider curriculum, i.e.
- Engaging children in play activities at break times
- Taking children including those who may be wheel chair users off site to access community based activities.
- Supporting children to participate in all curriculum areas, including, Performance Arts, Sports and PE activities.
This post will require a level of mobility and fitness commensurate with the staff member’s ability to undertake any or all of the above.
*Following policies and protocols and appropriate training.
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
- Level 3 Teaching Assistant Apprenticeship Standard
- To be completed at apprentices work place
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
A permanent TA role, subject to passing apprenticeship and probation periods.
Reality CheckThis post will require a level of mobility and fitness commensurate with the staff member’s ability to undertake any or all of the above.
Skills RequiredCommunication skills, IT skills, Attention to detail, Problem solving skills, Number skills, Team working, Initiative, Non judgemental, Patience, Physical fitness, Flexible, Interpersonal Skills
Qualifications RequiredGCSE or equivalent English (Grade 4/C-9/A) Desired
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade 4/C-9/A) Desired