At Smith & Williamson, we recruit high calibre people with the skills, knowledge and commitment to meet the demands of the business. Our apprenticeship schemes are structured training programmes combining practical experience with technical studies, as well as providing numerous opportunities to increase your skill set with internal courses ranging from personal impact and negotiation skills to time management and delivering presentations.
What will I be doing:
Our business tax team provides tax and consulting services to a wide range of companies, from large multi-national groups to owner-managed businesses. Our tax advice is designed to meet our client’s agreed commercial objectives considering all relevant taxes, including corporation tax, VAT and employment taxes. We provide practical advice, regularly negotiating with HM Revenue & Customs, with members of our team sitting on a number of leading professional and industry committees.
Working closely with our senior tax professionals, you’ll feel yourself improving day by day as they teach you the intricacies of their trade. One moment you could be helping a small business ensure they are tax compliant; the next, you could be learning the complex, but fascinating cross-border considerations of international tax.
We believe that practical experience is key to creating well-rounded, trusted business advisers, this means you'll be doing real work from the outset.
Responsibilities of the apprenticeship role are as follows:
- Preparation of corporation tax computations and returns including drafting client communication
- Assisting with research assignments and drafting technical documentation
- Assisting other group members in professional work and providing support where required
- Supporting more qualified staff on more complex client situations
- Acquiring and building relationships with your own clients and beginning to supervise new trainees after approximately one year
- Supporting with the preparation and attendance at client meetings
During your training contract, you will study towards the Associate Chartered Accountant (ACA) qualification. Additionally, you will achieve the level 7 apprenticeship qualification, developing essential skills sought out in the professional services sector.
In addition, you will receive on the job training and support in order for you to develop tax technical and interpersonal skills; apprentices are encouraged to work with all members of the team, to share their experiences and to learn from others.
In the first year, you can expect to learn the basic corporation tax principles and to be supporting with tax compliance requirements of our clients, as well as advisory aspects where possible. Apprentices are also encouraged to support managers with the on-going running of the client account for several core clients, thus enabling them to develop a greater understanding of their clients’ businesses and to develop core client management skills from an early stage in their career.
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
For more information please visit: https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
Here’s what our apprentices have to say about our audit trainee programme:
“In my intake I was one of three which meant that I gained responsibility quickly and this has allowed me to learn and develop at a faster rate than I feel I would have done in a larger firm.”
“It is repeated time and time again, but the very best thing about S&W really is the people. The business tax team is a close-knit group of likeminded individuals who work closely together for their clients whilst also being good friends.”
“For me, the business tax training contract seemed great as it allows you to gain a professional qualification whilst also gaining specialist corporation tax knowledge in a dynamic department.”
To be successful in this role you will:
- Be able to deliver first class client service and work effectively as part of a team
- Demonstrate an ability to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing
To be successful in this role you will:
- Be committed and motivated to studying towards the Associate Chartered Accountant (ACA) qualification within the level 7 apprenticeship
- 112 UCAS points (or equivalent) predicted in your top three A-levels (excluding General Studies)
- GCSE English Language and maths achieved at a minimum of grade B/6 (or equivalent)
Training Provider to be confirmed upon appointment.
Accountancy Taxation Professional degree standard.