Leonardo's four year Systems Engineering Degree Apprenticeship programme is looking for people who understand the importance of communication, who are able to work well as part of a team and also on their own initiative. You will have the drive and commitment to work through difficult problems to find the right engineering solutions.
You will study with one of our academic partners for completion of a Level 6 Bachelor Honours Degree (BEng) through a mixture of work based learning and attendance at University. This Apprenticeship aligns with the current edition of the UK Standard for Professional Engineering Competence (UK-SPEC) at Incorporated Engineering (IEng) and Embedded Electronics & Systems Design standards (ST0151).
You will be working for a company at the cutting edge of technology, as well as enhancing your skills and business acumen, opening up your horizons to the diverse and dynamic ways to apply your academic learning in a practical environment.
We have created a programme across our UK sites that value those who continuously ask questions and look to resolve problems through creative and innovative thinking.
We need people who understand the importance of our customers and are ready to commit to working in the business, whilst also committing to a 4 year degree programme. At the end of the programme, you will work as a highly qualified member of our Systems Engineering community involved in a variety of world leading products.
Who would suit this role?
Leonardo values people that look to always develop throughout their career and along with an eager willingness to learn, a successful apprenticeship with Leonardo involves a drive to deliver results, sometimes from your own initiative, a patience for problem solving, as well as a need to comply with safety instructions and clear process compliance at all times. We view commitment to the programme and learning objectives very highly.
Note: This Apprenticeship assumes the candidate has little professional engineering experience and is NOT suitable for candidates who already have an engineering degree.
Key Responsibility Areas
You will be required to regularly attend University. You will:
- Learn skills and develop knowledge in engineering process & practices; analytical methods; regulatory and quality requirements; systems design and integration & test
- Develop business behaviours in communication, interpersonal skills, planning, leadership and professional commitment
- Practice the full engineering lifecycle to become a professional Systems Engineer
- Working to timescales
- Work as a contributory engineering team member.
- Undertake day-to-day engineering activities with some guidance and support.
- Ask for support where appropriate and learn from more experienced team members.
- Contribute to engineering team decisions and understand why such decisions are made and their relationship to project success criteria.
- Explore new experiences and opportunities to learn within the engineering environment.
- You will be assigned a Mentor to support your journey to achieving professional status and invited to attend group based events, which will provide you with an opportunity to network with your peers and share best practice.
- Potential to progress upon completion of this apprenticeship
- Please note that in order to apply for this opportunity you must be eligible for UK Security Clearance. Normally this is to the level of Security Check (typically known as “SC”) for our business
- A career in the defence industry rewards over 162,000 people and generates a £22billion turnover. Come and be a part of a community and work with some of the most talented engineers in the UK on some of the most exciting projects around
- Don’t delay – these roles attract high competition so apply now to avoid disappointment. When applying on HireVue please select Apprentice degree STEM
Leonardo values people with a passion for technical analysis, judgement and problem-solving. We reward commitment with a competitive remuneration and flexible benefits package including:
- Competitive starting salary
- Annual incremental pay increases
- 33 days holiday and flexible working arrangements
- Pension scheme (Contributory)
- Cycle to Work initiative
- Ability to achieve high performance
- Develop customer focus
- Demonstrate self-awareness and confidence
- Want continuous improvement
- Able to work together
You must have (as a minimum) the following qualifications:
3 x A Levels (A*- C) one of which must be - English, Maths or a technical related subject
An alternative Level 3 qualification, which must be an engineering or ICT related subject
GCSE (Grade 4 - 9 / A*- C) in Maths and English
Embedded Electronics System Design & Development (ST0151)
- Honours Degree in Electronics or Electrical & Electronic Engineering
Leonardo prides itself on recruiting the very best. Our companies run flourishing graduate and apprentice schemes for some 400 people nationwide.
We actively participate with other educational and engineering partners to help shape and develop the training and qualifications we offer to ensure that our future apprenticeship schemes continue to meet the expectation of our applicants and to match local and national standards.
Boasting a current retention rate that has seen 95% of apprentices stay with our companies at the end of their schemes, Leonardo understands that the future of its high-tech business rests in the next generation of engineers.