Coach Core Background.
Coach Core’s vision is to drive social mobility through apprenticeships and sport, so that every young person can reach their true potential and inspire those around them. Since our launch in 2012, we have worked with over 150 of the biggest sports providers, youth clubs and charities in the country, supporting over 500 young people. We are now looking to relaunch in January 2020.
Successful applicants will be based full time with one employer (for between 15-18 months) but will also be able to access a range of additional qualifications and events not seen on any other apprenticeship programme. Employers are specifically chosen based on their passion and willingness to support young people.
The following employers are currently confirmed for the Coach Core Essex programme:
- Canvey Youth Project
- Essex Cricket
- Sport for Confidence
- Essex Boys and Girls Clubs
- Motivated Minds
- Achievement Through Football
- South Essex Gymnastics
- Kidz inspire
As part of the Coach Core offer, we provide a dedicated tutor, to support you through the qualification and help you put your learning into practice at work. This tutor will deliver a weekly group education session for all apprentices, allowing you to learn and share ideas from a range of different coaching environments.
About Coach Core.
Coach Core Essex is one of 14 programmes across the UK. We’ve watched the diversity of our apprentices increase year upon year, however, we want to make a real difference with our new programme in Essex which launches in January 2021.
It is central to the Active Essex ethos that physical activity and sport should be open and accessible to everybody. We strongly value diversity and strive to ensure that opportunities are available to all while recognising there are inequalities which affect some sections of our communities.
Building on the great work done through our Tackling Inequalities work and our emerging ‘shaping our future’ framework we are keen to provide a real focus on increasing the number of applications from under-represented groups.
This programme is open to all, but in light of the above, we particularly welcome applicants from diverse communities, young people who live in areas of high deprivation and other currently under-represented groups our workforce.
You will also be supported by an experienced Head Coach within your workplace, who will be there to help you plan and deliver engaging and inclusive sessions. This member of staff will also help you to reflect and develop on your coaching practice as you progress through the programme.
Why should I join Coach Core?
At Coach Core, we are passionate about ensuring you gain more opportunities and experiences than any other apprenticeship programme. To do this, we work to provide the following:
- The opportunity to achieve recognised qualifications and access weekly vocational training, as required by employers within the sports industry
- Regular mentor support and experience of working alongside industry professionals, including Sports Development Officers, experienced sports coaches and personnel from National Governing Bodies
- Practical experience of working in the sports industry, through curriculum and after school coaching, community activation, youth provision and sporting events, amongst others
- The opportunity to learn and share best practice with other young people, become a role model and give something back to your community
- The opportunity to attend exciting events and training, through other employers, linked partners and the Active Partnership
If you are successful with your application, your role will involve:
- Helping to inspire your community to develop and lead a healthy, active lifestyle
- Shadowing experienced coaches and supporting existing sessions and activities
- Assisting with the planning and delivery of sessions, taking the lead with small groups as directed
- Assisting with the reporting of participant progress and development
- Supporting the wider activities of your employer, which may include administration tasks, social media, marketing and events
- Maintaining the health and safety of sessions/activities at all times
- Sharing knowledge and ideas with other Coach Core apprentices, to help improve coaching delivery
This programme may lead to possible progression into full and part time coaching roles, further qualifications, Level 3 apprenticeships and employment in other sectors (for example youth work or leisure).
The current National Minimum Wage for an apprentice is £4.15 an hour. This rate applies to apprentices under 19 and those aged 19 or over who are in their first year. Apprentices must be paid at least the minimum wage rate for their age if they are aged 19 or over and have completed their first year. The minimum wage rates are £6.45 an hour for 18-20-year olds, £8.20 for anyone aged 21 to 24 and £8.72 for those over 25. Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that’s part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week). These rates apply from 1st April 2020.
Each Coach Core location receives a significant number of applicants. As such, we cannot guarantee that you will be placed with their first choice employer if successful, but we will do our best to ensure that you have a placement that you are interested in and can easily travel to.
The key dates within this advert are to be used as a guide only. The advert may close early if vacancies are oversubscribed.
No prior coaching experience is required, but a willingness to learn, develop and challenge yourself is essential.
You must be enthusiastic about wanting to work within the sport and physical activity sector and be committed to inspiring others to be more physically active.
No previous qualifications are required.
- Level 2 Community Activator Coach qualification
- Coach Core specific modules and workshops
- Functional Skills in English and maths (if required)
- A minimum of 1 National Governing Body L2 qualification
- Access to a range of other training, events and opportunities (e.g. activator courses, community sports festivals etc.)