If you are successful with your application, your role will involve:
- Helping to inspire your community to develop and lead a healthy, active lifestyle
- Shadowing experienced coaches and supporting existing sessions and activities
- Assisting with the planning and delivery of sessions, taking the lead with small groups as directed
- Assisting with the reporting of participant progress and development
- Supporting the wider activities of your employer, which may include administration tasks, social media, marketing and events
- Maintaining the health and safety of sessions/activities at all times
- Sharing knowledge and ideas with other Coach Core apprentices, to help improve coaching delivery
About Coach Core
Coach Core Middlesbrough is one of 14 programmes across the UK. In each Coach Core location, employers and other partners work together to provide a unique and exciting range of events and opportunities for all young people.
Successful applicants will be based full time with one employer (for between 15-18 months) but will also be able to access a range of additional qualifications and events not seen on any other apprenticeship programme. Employers are specifically chosen based on their passion and willingness to support young people. The following employers are currently confirmed for the Coach Core Middlesbrough programme:
Middlesbrough Football Club Foundation
Norton Sports Charity
As part of the Coach Core offer, we provide a dedicated tutor, to support you through the qualification and help you put your learning into practice at work. This tutor will deliver a weekly group education session for all apprentices, allowing you to learn and share ideas from a range of different coaching environments.
You will also be supported by an experienced Head Coach within your workplace, who will be there to help you plan and deliver engaging and inclusive sessions. This member of staff will also help you to reflect and develop on your coaching practice as you progress through the programme.
Why should I join Coach Core?
At Coach Core, we are passionate about ensuring you gain more opportunities and experiences than any other apprenticeship programme. To do this, we work to provide the following:
- The opportunity to achieve recognised qualifications and access weekly vocational training, as required by employers within the sports industry
- Regular mentor support and experience of working alongside industry professionals, including Sports Development Officers, experienced sports coaches and personnel from National Governing Bodies
- Practical experience of working in the sports industry, through curriculum and after school coaching, community activation, youth provision and sporting events, amongst others
- The opportunity to learn and share best practice with other young people, become a role model and give something back to your community
- The opportunity to attend exciting events and training, through other employers, linked partners and the Active Partnership
This programme may lead to possible progression into full and part time coaching roles, further qualifications, Level 3 apprenticeships and employment in other sectors (for example youth work or leisure).
Each Coach Core location receives a significant number of applicants. As such, we cannot guarantee that you will be placed with their first-choice employer if successful, but we will do our best to ensure that you have a placement that you are interested in and can easily travel to.
The key dates within this advert are to be used as a guide only. The advert may close early if vacancies are oversubscribed.
You must be enthusiastic about wanting to work within the sport and physical activity sector and be committed to inspiring others to be more physically active. No prior coaching experience is required, but a willingness to learn, develop and challenge yourself is essential.
- Possess a passion for physical activity and healthy lifestyles
- Be organised and able to work effectively in teams and as an individual
- Maintain a professional approach to work at all times
- Be able to relate well to, motivate, and encourage others being conscious of being a positive role model at all times
- Have an enthusiastic attitude to life and work
- Have the ability to make learning and work fun
- You must be committed to completing your apprenticeship
No previous qualifications are required.
- Level 2 Community Activator Coach qualification
- Coach Core specific modules and workshops
- Functional Skills in English and maths (if required)
- A minimum of 1 National Governing Body L2 qualification
- Access to a range of other training, events and opportunities (e.g. activator courses, community sports festivals etc.)