Coach Core Sussex will be one of 15 programmes across the UK. In each Coach Core location, employers and other partners work together to provide a unique and exciting range of events and opportunities for all young people.
Successful applicants will be based full time with one employer (for between 15-18 months), but will also be able to access a range of additional qualifications and events not seen on any other apprenticeship programme. Employers are specifically chosen based on their passion and willingness to support young people. The following employers are currently confirmed for the Coach Core [Sussex] programme:
- Brighton Marina Studios/Dance Hub
- Sky High Trampolining
- Defiant Sports
- Russell Martin Academy
- Horsham Sports Services
- South Coast Sports
- Sussex Clubs for Young People
Total number of roles available: 10
As part of the Coach Core offer, we provide a dedicated tutor, to support you through the qualification and help you put your learning into practice at work. This tutor will deliver a weekly group education session for all apprentices, allowing you to learn and share ideas from a range of different coaching environments.
You will also be supported by an experienced Head Coach within your workplace, who will be there to help you plan and deliver engaging and inclusive sessions. This member of staff will also help you to reflect and develop on your coaching practice as you progress through the programme.
At Coach Core, we are passionate about ensuring you gain more opportunities and experiences than any other apprenticeship programme. To do this, we work to provide the following:
- The opportunity to achieve recognised qualifications and access weekly vocational training, as required by employers within the sports industry
- Regular mentor support and experience of working alongside industry professionals, including Sports Development Officers, experienced sports coaches and personnel from National Governing Bodies
- Practical experience of working in the sports industry, through curriculum and afterschool coaching, community activation, youth provision and sporting events, amongst others
- The opportunity to learn and share best practice with other young people, become a role model and give something back to your community.
- The opportunity to attend exciting events and training, through other employers, linked partners and the Active Partnership
If you are successful with your application, your role will involve:
- Helping to inspire your community to develop and lead a healthy, active lifestyle
- Shadowing experienced coaches and supporting existing sessions and activities
- Assisting with the planning and delivery of sessions, taking the lead with small groups as directed
- Assisting with the reporting of participant progress and development
- Supporting the wider activities of your employer, which may include administration tasks, social media, marketing and events
- Maintaining the health and safety of sessions/activities at all times
- Sharing knowledge and ideas with other Coach Core apprentices, to help improve coaching delivery
This programme may lead to possible progression into full and part time coaching roles, further qualifications, Level 3 apprenticeships and employment in other sectors (for example youth work or leisure).
Each Coach Core location receives a significant number of applicants. As such, we cannot guarantee that you will be successful with your application, or placed with your first choice employer. However, we will do our best to ensure that you have a placement that you are interested in and can easily travel to, if successful.
The key dates within this advert are to be used as a guide only. The advert may close early if vacancies are oversubscribed.
Here are some top tips and info for candidates wishing to apply:
1) Be completely honest in the application. We will be asking for evidence and will check any information given.
2) Tell us about YOU! This programme wants to give you an opportunity to succeed so we are looking for
people that are passionate about physical activity and who want to make a difference to their community- NOT the most qualified.
3) Be open-minded! Coach Core provides an amazing opportunity to gain experience across a range of different sports and environments. Employers will be looking for candidates that are willing to learn, rather than those with lots of previous coaching experience.
All successful applicants will be paid at least the current National Apprenticeship Wage, of £4.30 an hour. You must be paid at least the National Minimum Wage rate for your age if you are aged 19 or over and have completed the first year of the apprenticeship. The National Minimum Wage rates are £6.56 an hour for 18-20 year olds, £8.36 for anyone aged 21 to 22 and £8.91 for those over 23. These rates apply from 1st April 2021.
If successful with your application, you will be paid for a minimum of 30 hours each week, including your weekly education hours.
Successful applicants must also:
- Possess a passion for physical activity and healthy lifestyles
- Be organised and able to work effectively in teams and as an individual
- Maintain a professional approach to work at all times
- Be able to relate well to, motivate, and encourage others being conscious of being a positive role model at all times
- Have an enthusiastic attitude to life and work
- Have the ability to make learning and work fun
You must be enthusiastic about wanting to work within the sport and physical activity sector and be committed to inspiring others to be more physically active. No prior coaching experience is required, but a willingness to learn, develop and challenge yourself is essential.
As with any apprenticeship programme, you will be required to complete a qualification as part of your employment. As far as is possible, we will work to make this as practical as possible, to ensure you can put your learning into practice.
- None required
- Level 2 Community Activator Coach qualification
- Coach Core specific modules and workshops
- Functional Skills in English and Maths (if required)
- A minimum of 1 National Governing Body Level 2 qualification
- Access to a range of other training, events and opportunities (e.g. activator courses, community sports festivals etc.)