Khaylan Enterprises (part of Spencer Press Tools) was formed in 1980 by Charles Porter, and is still run independently today as a family run business.
The directors have a wealth of experience in engineering. With a total of over 45 years practical experience in the engineering trade and sub-contract engineering. In 2002 the company was taken over by Sanjay Nagar due to the retirement of Mr Porter.
There is a skilled and practical workforce with a full understanding of the demands from customers, particularly for urgent time scales that are enforced to our customers.
An Apprenticeship, Khaylan Enterprises offer you the chance to train for a highly-skilled role, gain a nationally recognised qualification, and be paid while you learn and be part of great business!
We are looking for a Multi Skilled Tooling Apprentice to work in our business at Spencer Press Tools, 188 - 192 Barr Street, Hockley, Birmingham, B19 3AE. The Apprenticeship will last for approximately 4 years and combine both studies at MAKE UK in Birmingham and on the job learning with an experienced mentor at the Factory.
As well as training and qualifications, you will also be paid a competitive rate of pay and will also be eligible for benefits, we will also support your continuing professional development after you have qualified.
As a Multi Skilled Tooling Apprentice, not only will you will be supporting the Operations team to bespoke, high standard parts for the Jewellery Industry, you will be participating in Surface Grinding for the Automotive Industry.
It is essential that you have a practical approach to completing these tasks and you will need good organisational skills to enable you to manage the range of tasks competing for attention. At the training centre you will be studying subjects to give you the appropriate knowledge and skills to carry out these tasks such as Basic Maintenance Procedures and Techniques, CNC Programming, CAD/CAM, and Lean methodology to name a few.
As an Apprentice you will be exposed to certain departments. The Grinding Department offers:
- Turned parts, collars, spacers, washers, valve wear pads, dowel or tube ends & pressings, ground flats to .001" (sometimes less) or one side only, as required
- Hardened D2, etc., and soft plates ground flat and parallel to .001" (0.025mm) up to 24" width. Mould plates, etc., squared-up four edges up to 22" width
- Round bars ground rectangular and rectangular bars ground to reduced sizes. (Up to 3 meters in length)
- Flame-cut and laser cut blanks ground to thickness
- Sawn blanks ground on 4 or 6 faces, all squared-up ready for CNC machining
- Long radii, shear angles and chamfers ground along hard and soft items
In the Tooling Department, you will be exposed to:
- Wire Erosion
- Spark Erosion
- 2D & 3DMilling
- CNC Turning
- 2D & 3D Digitising Services
- Band Saws
There is potential for the right candidates to eventually move into a Senior position/role, fully supported by a Continuous Professional Development programme within Spencer Press Tools (dependent on overall performance).
Once your apprenticeship has finished you may be expected to work longer hours to suit the workload - this will only be occasional. Please note that this vacancy may close once the suitable number of applications have been received.
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week). For more information please visit: https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
- Practical, someone who enjoys working with their hands, who is up for a challenge
- Keen learner
- Good organisational skills with the ability to manage a range of tasks competing for attention
- Good interpersonal skills
- Enthusiastic and willing to learn new skills
- Self-motivated and reliable
- Must have a positive approach to work
- Want to participate in a team environment
- Be able to use your initiative
- Flexible and punctual
3 or more GCSEs (or equivalent) at Grade 4/C or above, particularly in maths, English, Science, and Product Design.
This 4 year programme will include:
- Engineering Basic Skills training - off the job full time at Make UK in Aston, Birmingham
- NVQ Level 3 in Engineering
- A Technical Certificate (BTEC Diploma Level 3 in Engineering)
- In house training in line with your requirements