What will the apprentice be doing?
Working within our Service Projects and Heathrow Airport Service teams, the Apprentice ICT Network Engineer will work towards being able to support infrastructure comprising of physical and virtual hardware (VMware), software, network services and data storage, networking, server and other IT system essentials. You will also play a lead role in ensuring that deployed systems at our customer sites are functioning correctly and optimised to meet customer and regulatory requirements in line with IT Service Management best practices and policies.
You will also be part of a dynamic team supporting complex X-Ray security screening technology, including the installation of the latest digital and automated passenger checkpoint systems within agreed timelines and customer requirements
As an Apprentice for Smiths Detection, you will work towards being accountable for the following;
· To be proficient in all aspects of the operation and maintenance procedures.
· Ensure all company legislative and Health & Safety regulations and policies are maintained. Work in a safe considerate manner, leaving work areas tidy at all times.
· Carry out installation, support and diagnosis of both virtual and hardware derivatives of company enterprise products, such as workstations and servers.
· Instigating and managing change control processes for hardware and software.
· Carry out routine maintenance duties including, but not limited to: operational checks, functionality testing, cleaning, adjustment and monitoring.
· To repair and maintain all company IT/Digital products through a proactive approach of planned & reactive maintenance with a high Availability and first time fix rate.
· Identify trends and root cause of issues and find permanent solutions to resolve issues.
· Work within the ITIL code of best practice.
· Maintain a customer centric focus and support the collation of network design for sales and product support.
To be conversant and capable of working in all areas such as:
o IT and Image distribution network solutions
o Windows and Linus Operating systems support and diagnostics
o VMware deployment and design
o X-ray & Computed Tomography screening systems
o Automated Tray Return Checkpoint systems
o IT and Image distribution network solutionsTo become a Subject Matter Expert and specialist for products which have a high level of IT/Networking integration in order to support the Field Service Engineers and customers with IT/Networking training and support as required.
Are you the type of person who can:
Attend college regularly, work hard and ensure your assessments are completed to the highest standards?
Integrate and work well as part of a team?
Be organised and punctual?
Take personal responsibility for working safely and follow the company's health and safety policies at all times?
Be flexible and helpful?
Seek opportunities to develop and grow?
Maintain high professional standards at all times?
If you answered yes, we could support you to achieve a Level 3 Information Communications Technician Apprenticeship at Kingston College.
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
- Level 3 Information Communications Technician Apprenticeship at Kingston College
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
Move into a Junior Field Service Engineer position and continued study support for HNC
Reality Check• You must be 18 years old before September 2022 for health and safety, insurance etc. • Basic Engineering appreciation. • Willingness to learn new skills • Able to prioritize in a fast-paced environments • Some machining skills would be advantageous • The position is subject to satisfactory background checks and/or National Security Vetting
Skills RequiredIT skills, Attention to detail, Customer care skills, Problem solving skills, Team working, Initiative, Physical fitness
Qualifications RequiredGCSE or equivalent Mathematics, Science, Technology, Engineering (Grade 4 or above) Essential