The Apprentice will be expected to undertake a Level 3 Laboratory Technician course provided by Kingston College via classroom learning and on the job training which is assessed over a period of 24 months. You will be released from your duties for one day per week to complete the required classroom modules. Subject to a suitable vacancy existing on the completion of your apprenticeship you may then be considered for a permanent position at Whitgift School.
OUTLINE OF POST:
- To manage the practical requests and provision of the chemicals and apparatus to enable the Science Department to run efficiently;
- To provide technical support for all activities within the Science Department and help in Science laboratories.
- To assist the Team Leader Technician in support of all areas of science
This position reports into the Head of Science, Team Leader Technician and Senior Technicians.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- To provide a daily support service to the Science laboratories and associated areas
- To prepare apparatus, materials and solutions and to set up equipment and apparatus for the start of the lesson, as required.
- To set up and operate equipment such as projectors, recorders and educational computers
- To issue materials and equipment to staff and students and to keep appropriate records
- To retrieve and clean away apparatus and equipment after practical classes
- To assist the teacher, when required, by providing support to students in practical sessions
- To ensure that the practical requirements of practical examinations/assessments are met, including preparing, setting up and testing materials, apparatus and equipment
- To assist in the development of the curriculum by participating in course team meetings as required
- To ensure, in conjunction with other specialist Science Technicians, that appropriate stock levels of apparatus and materials are maintained
- To order (after consultation with appropriate staff), log and receive materials and equipment and to assist in the planning of future requirements
- To organise and store equipment, apparatus and materials in accordance with Health and Safety Regulations
- Share the maintenance of the resource bank of information relating to equipment and materials with the other members of the Science Technician team
- To participate in the development of practical and technical facilities to meet teaching/learning needs
- To provide technical advice and assistance to students and teaching staff at all reasonable times
- To advise teaching staff of the technical requirements raised by the curriculum and to contribute to the development of the School’s practical work
- To ensure that satisfactory standards of safety and security are maintained in relation to the technical service in accordance with School policy, to include providing COSSH information, assessment and records
- To dispose or arrange for the disposal of hazardous and dangerous substances in accordance with Health and Safety Regulations
- To participate in staff development and/or any training considered necessary for the safe and effective execution of the responsibilities listed above
- To understand other reasonable duties as requested by the Team Leader/Head of Science
- To assist in the general tidiness and cleanliness of the Preparation Rooms and Laboratories
Subject to a suitable vacancy existing on the completion of your apprenticeship you may then be considered for a permanent position at Whitgift School. Alternatively this apprenticeship could give you the skills and experience to progress elsewhere.
The closing date for this opportunity might be brought forwards if the right candidates is recruited. Please apply early to avoid disappointment.
- Is resilient and demonstrates ability to work well under pressure
- Manages time effectively
- Is willing to work with organisational procedures and processes to meet required standards
- Is committed to CPD
- Enjoys the stimulus and challenge of a technical role
- Demonstrates effective planning
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- High standards for health and safety
- Highly organised
- Works collaboratively and supportively with colleagues
- Adaptability and flexibility in responding to demands
- Resourceful and able to take the initiative to solve problems
- Willingness to engage with active whole school community
5 GCSEs with A*-C/9-4 in English, Mathematics and Science or equivalent.
- Level 3 Laboratory Technician Apprenticeship Standard
- Functional Skills in maths and English if required
During your off the job training at Kingston College you will cover the following units;
- Science Fundamentals
- Understand Regulatory Environment
- Product Testing Techniques
- Control of Hazards in the Laboratory
- Laboratory Techniques
- Quality Procedures
- Data Protection
- Analysis, interpretation and evaluation of data