For more than 120 years Scania has been at the forefront of the automotive industry and today is one of the worlds most recognised and respected commercial vehicle brands.
West Pennine Trucks are the North Wests largest privately-owned Scania dealer. They believe in developing and nurturing the next generation of Automotive Technicians through the award-winning Scania Apprenticeship programme.
As part of the Scania Apprenticeship Programme, you will have the opportunity to gain new skills and knowledge whilst carrying out maintenance and repairs on Scania heavy vehicles in your workplace. This will include mechanical, pneumatic, hydraulic, and electrical vehicle systems. You will also receive excellent training at Scanias state-of-the-art training centre to further develop your new skills and knowledge to the next level.
What will you be doing?
- Learning the fundamentals of Heavy Vehicle technologies and Heavy Vehicle chassis, engine, fuels, transmissions, hydraulic and air braking, electrical systems, and testing
- You will be trained on how to: Service, Maintain and Repair Scania trucks, buses and similar vehicles
- Set up accessories and specific equipment on the vehicles
- Ensure appropriate work logs are kept for all vehicles, all job cards and service sheets are completed in a timely manner
- Working alongside a qualified Technician / Mentor learning how to carry out repairs according to Scania procedures in a safe and responsible manner
- To attain high levels of morale and focus to ensure the highest possible levels of productive efficiency, quality of workmanship and production finish in order to sustain growth in customer confidence in the service provided by the Dealer point
- To represent the West Pennine Trucks in a professional and courteous manner always when dealing with customers and the public
- Liaise with the parts department to attain parts
West Pennine Trucks believe in providing an extensive, high quality Apprenticeship which gives their Apprentices the opportunity to advance, succeed and fulfil their ambitions for a career in the motor industry.
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week). For more information please visit: https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
- A keen interest and passion for Heavy Vehicle technology
- Practically minded
- Logical approach to problem solving
- An enthusiasm to learn new practical and theoretical skills
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- You will need to have a high level of attention to detail with a clear positive attitude to work and the determination to succeed
- Willingness to learn new skills and knowledge
- Ability to work within a team
Minimum requirements are a 3/D grade or equivalent in English Language and Maths.
During your Heavy Vehicle Apprenticeship programme, you will be required to attend Scanias state-of-the-art Training centre. The Scania Training Centre is one of their worldwide Training Centres of Excellence which is the biggest automotive training facility in the UK. You will visit the Training Centre for 18 separate weeks (Monday - Friday) over the duration of the 3-year programme. All travel expenses to and from the centre, together with the costs of the hotel accommodation, are paid for by Scania. Alongside your apprenticeship training, you will complete a series of Scania recognised product-training courses, which when completed allow you to achieve a Scania Technician status. As Scanias dedicated training partner, Remit Group will deliver comprehensive training to all Apprentices periodically throughout the 3-year programme. During these training sessions, your dedicated Development Coach will review your progress, set SMART targets, and identify any additional support that you may require. To embed your knowledge further, as part of the apprenticeship programme, Functional Skills in English and Mathematics will be provided to ensure you have that essential knowledge, skills, and understanding to enable you to operate confidently in the workplace environment. As a result, you will achieve: IMI Level 3 Heavy Vehicle Service and Maintenance Technician, IRTEC Accreditation, Functional Skills Qualifications (if applicable) in: English and Maths.