Sample Preparation Technician Apprentice
Company Overview and Values
Since formation in 1990, Terra Tek has grown to become one of the largest providers of in-situ and laboratory testing services in the UK ground investigation sector. We are proud to offer a friendly service with integrity.
Our rapidly expanding UKAS and MCERTS accredited laboratories provide an extensive range of routine and specialist geotechnical, aggregate, rock, chemical and on-site testing services.
Our extensive and loyal customer base has been established through our commitment to providing a service which is reliable, efficient, professional, friendly and enduring.
Terra Tek place a high priority on providing our employees with learning and development opportunities throughout their careers. The company places great importance on professional development and there are always opportunities to take part in both internal and external training programmes. Employees are also encouraged to gain professional qualifications to further develop their career.
The Laboratory Support Technician role is vital in supporting our laboratories in ensuring efficient processing and preparing of samples prior to being tested. The successful candidate will report to the Sample Preparation Supervisor and will be part of a friendly and efficient team.
Training will be provided in all aspects of sample reception duties and subsequent preparation of both soil and water samples. There may also be opportunities to be trained in chemical testing techniques.
- Booking in samples and recording temperatures immediately on receipt
- Advising clients of any deviating samples prior to testing
- Preservation of water samples on receipt. This is required as part of deviating samples policy where the client has not used preservatives at the point of sampling. Process involves adding set volumes of preservatives to filtered sub-samples
- Retrieval and distribution of samples to laboratories. Return of samples to designated locations post-testing
- Disposal of samples
- Collection of samples
- Cleaning and maintenance of Stores area
- Cleaning and maintenance of ice-packs and cool-boxes
- Preparation of sampling kits and cool-boxes and arranging despatch to clients
- Opening and closing of door shutters at the start and end of each working day
- Maintenance of laboratory waste. Organising collection of waste skips, regular emptying of laboratory bins
- Stock control. Ensuring adequate supplies of sampling containers and general laboratory consumables are available at all times. Forwarding purchase requisitions to office for ordering
- Accepting, checking and distribution of delivered goods
- Maintenance and cleaning of client-facing environment. This includes cleaning of sample reception room, side car park and loading bay. Ensuring adequate literature is available in sample reception and reporting any site maintenance issues (replacing light bulbs etc)
- Basic sample preparation at times of high workloads. This may involve aspects such as preparing samples for extraction, leachate preparation or assistance with crushing of dry soil samples
The Laboratory Support Technician role encompasses all aspects of logging and preparation of samples prior to testing in the laboratory. This will provide a good grounding for specialising within the department or advancing to a laboratory technician role once the apprenticeship ends.
On successful completion of the apprenticeship there will be opportunities for promotion within the section or in other areas of the business.
Candidates should be able to commute within one hour.
No certifications or background checks required other than references from previous employers (if appropriate).
Candidates should be physically fit. The role requires lifting items up to 25kg and walking and standing for periods up to two hours.
- Good attention to detail
- Good organisational and time management skills
- Ability to work to deadlines
- Ability to manage own workload
- Ability to work as part of an integrated team and on an individual basis
- Should be physically fit (able to lift items up to 25kg and stand for extended periods)
- Grade C/4 in GCSE maths, English and Science
- Driving licence (for collecting samples)
Level 3 Laboratory Technician apprenticeship standard
- Level 2 Functional Skills (English)
- Level 2 Functional Skills (maths)
Sign up for apprenticeship alerts - its free
People who applied for this apprenticeship also applied for:
This page contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0. The information provider is the Education and Skills Funding Agency.