Quantity Surveyor Degree Apprentice
Coventry University College Ltd
We build 2,000 new homes every year and our commercial teams are critical to the success of our operations and the housing developments we build. Quantity Surveyors are responsible for controlling our construction costs. We need their logical brains and number crunching skills to make sure that the correct quantities of materials, labour and other services are being supplied to our construction sites.
Experienced Quantity Surveyor’s manage millions of pounds worth of costs via our supply chains from the point of planning approval through to the completion of new housing developments. Their purpose is to be innovative in their approach and ensure value for money is achieved with our materials suppliers, sub-contractors, technical and design fees, site overheads and sales and marketing.
Quantity Surveyors are much more than accountants, they have in-depth knowledge of construction design, construction build processes, law and contracts, project management, valuations, procurement, dispute resolution, negotiation and contract administration. Combined with the ability to think creatively and construct viable arguments they can save the business tens of thousands of pounds in an instant.
An opportunity to work for Orbit as a qualified Quantity Surveyor.
- Ability to multi-task with good project, time management skills
- Ability to achieve deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Highly organised with the ability to work to multiple deadlines
- A good communicator able to pitch ideas, challenge and push boundaries, keeping internal clients informed, involved and fully engaged
- A high performing self–starter, able to motivate both themselves and others
- Ability to influence others, and work both as part of a team and as a leader within a team
- Ability to think analytically, to apply skills and knowledge in new contexts and to problem solve
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively through oral and presentational skills as well as excellent writing skills
- Excellent numeracy and literacy skills
- A strong desire to build a career in construction combined with the need for continuous personal improvement
- A strong desire to continuously improve general knowledge of the construction industry
- Willingness and ability to travel to meet the requirements of the role, including travel and overnight stay each week for Degree studies
- A Level: BBC. Excludes General Studies
- BTEC: DMM in related field or IB Diploma: 30 points
- GSCE Requirements: 5 GSCEs at grade A*–C/9-4 including English Language and mathematics, or specified equivalents
Direct Entry to Stage 2:
- Students who have been awarded an appropriate HND or HNC with a grade of Merit
- GSCE Requirements: 5 GSCEs at grade A*–C/9-1 including English Language and mathematics, or specified equivalents
**Applicants who do not have the above entry requirements will still be considered on their individual merits where alternative and additional evidence of aptitude, such as extensive practical experience is evident**.
EG: On-the-job training and assessment will be provided by a mixture of:
- Work place shadowing
- Periodic In house Training from internal or external resource
- Self learning modules and assessments e.g. Health & safety tests
Off-the-job training and assessment
Off-the-job training will be provided by Coventry University. You will achieve a Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) accredited BSc (Hons) Quantity Surveying. You’ll study using Coventry University’s modern learning environment, and supported by our highly experienced tutors. You will have access to our comprehensive library and other fantastic student support services.
Upon completion of the BSc (Hons) Quantity Surveying you will undertake the RICS Assessment of Professional Competence leading to registration with the RICS as a Chartered Surveyor.
Expected duration: 5 years plus an additional non-teaching year to gain Chartered status.
Sign up for apprenticeship alerts - its free
People who applied for this apprenticeship also applied for:
This page contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0. The information provider is the Education and Skills Funding Agency.