BMJ seeks an enthusiastic individual to join its flagship publication, The BMJ, at apprentice level. This is an exciting opportunity to work with various teams (editorial, production, multimedia, and others) learning about and helping with the end-to-end publication process of a weekly print magazine and online international journal. 20% of the role holder’s week will be devoted to course work.
The role will be wide-ranging and evolve as the role-holder gains knowledge - tasks will include but are not limited to:
- Preparing/circulating documentation for editorial meetings, participating in meetings, taking notes and following up on actions
- Updating article status on pre- and post-acceptance tracking systems to ensure smooth flow of copy
- Liaising with prospective authors and commissioning editors regarding article guidelines, deadlines and conflicts of interest
- Preparing accepted articles for additional work by technical editors in preparation for publication
- Data entry and desk research
- Assisting the Data Graphics Designer with the infographics process
- Assisting with departmental activities such as event organisation
- Helping to cover for absent colleagues with related roles
Level 4 Project Manager.
- Microsoft office suite - intermediate level
- Google tools - intermediate level
- Data gathering and analysis would be an advantage
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Highly organised, enthusiastic and pro-active
You’ll need to pass a face to face screening interview with our Talent Team (don’t worry, we’re a friendly bunch) and sit initial assessments in maths and English.
- Level 3 Publishing Assistant Apprenticeship Standard