This is a unique experience within the hospitality industry. We are enmeshed in our local community and strive to use the freshest and best ingredients that we can source.
Working with us at the Baobab Café and potentially leading to working with our sister catering company, Eran’s Kitchen, will be an incredible and unique experience for those who are looking at training in catering, cooking and working in hospitality as a whole. We pride ourselves on being part of our local community as well as providing a beautiful and extensive range of foods from all around the globe.
In our café we make fresh and artfully creative dishes from the middle east and bring it to the heart of Devon! We source as much of our produce as possible from local suppliers and use an extensive range of fresh herbs and spices every day in our food. Some of our daily salads and dishes can have up to and exceeding 30 ingredients!
Working alongside our head chef, Eran Hovav will provide any candidate with a fantastic opportunity to learn an extensive amount about not only cooking and preparing food, but also an opportunity to learn about where and how our produce is grown, sourced and alternative ways of using everyday ingredients in unusual and creative ways.
Any candidate considering this position must be able to work in a friendly and concise manner as we work from an open kitchen and you’ll soon learn that not only will you be working with an incredibly talented Chef, but also an incredibly warm, friendly and loving host!
As you will be joining part of a small team of very enthusiastic and caring people you will need to match this yourself. We treat every customer who comes through our doors as if they’re an old friend and we need someone who can also maintain these values that are really key to us as a business.
Within this role you will have to fulfil general kitchen porter duties such as:
- Stock rotation and other maintenance tasks
Alongside this you’ll be expected to fill the duties of a trainee chef, this includes:
- Following food hygiene rules
- Learning how to prepare our food
- Cook a range of dishes
- Learn some unique food preparation and cooking techniques
You will also be expected to record necessary information, such as food storage and delivery records.
Please note, hours may increase during the apprenticeship as lockdown and restrictions are lifted.
Upon successful completion of this apprenticeship, you might be offered progression onto the Advanced Level 3 Senior Production Chef Apprenticeship or given a permanent contract.
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
For more information please visit: https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
- Basic knowledge of food hygiene and handling
- Ideally, someone who already has some general knowledge of how to work safely in a kitchen
- Our ideal candidate will be someone who is friendly, confident, willing to learn and isn’t afraid to be hands on when trying new skills or showing off skills they have already acquired
- We also need our candidate to be confidant enough to be able to ask for help when necessary and be able to manage open communication between staff and customers alike
- We pride ourselves on how friendly and how much we care for the individuals who come into our business. We need someone who can uphold these qualities as it is key to who we are
Ideally, you will have achieved a grade C/4 in maths and English at GCSE or equivalent. If you do not meet the qualifications required, you may still be considered for this role. However, you will have to complete Functional Skills alongside your Apprenticeship.
Food hygiene certificate would be preferred. If you don’t have one, this can be discussed and worked towards.
- IFA Level 2 Production Chef
- Level 2 Functional Skills (if required)