What will the apprentice be doing?
This is an exciting opportunity for someone to join a friendly, busy Finance team. Full training will be given in this apprenticeship role.
The Finance department services all the Finance needs of the organisation, within this the Procurement Team work with CI staff and customers to ensure that goods and services are procured to ensure best value for money.
This apprenticeship role of Procurement Officer is a responsible position and it supports the Procurement Team in providing a service to Colchester Institute. The Procurement Officer Apprentice will study for the Chartered Institute of Procurement and Services Level 3 qualification.
The post holder will be responsible for Procurement relating to non-contract and low value tenders and to assist with contracting.
- To process purchase orders via the eProcurement system, ensuring financial coding, VAT coding and content is correct.
- To ensure that tenders and quotes have been obtained where appropriate for all purchase orders.
- To monitor and provide assistance and training for non-finance staff in the processing of raising purchase orders in the finance system.
- Produce appropriate reports with the purpose of carrying out thorough spend analysis to determine patterns of spend and internal collaborative opportunities between departments.
- To ensure the Financial Regulations and Procurement and Payments Procedure is followed at all times and report any breaches the Head of Finance.
- Draft low value tender documents in accordance with agreed specifications and offer advice to tender review panel and/or other college Managers as appropriate.
- To provide advice on issues of compliance from internal and external customers, in line with relevant statutory provisions and internal Financial Regulations and procedures.
- To maintain the preferred suppliers list.
- To maintain the College contracts database and keep up-to-date. Flagging to relevant parties when action needs to be taken for contract termination and/or renewal.
- To set up new suppliers and supplier changes in the finance system in line with CI procedures.
- To monitor and provide assistance in the processing of the Colleges purchasing activity via GPCs (Government Procurement Cards) and ensuring deadlines are met.
- To process credit card and train ticket transactions on behalf of departments as appropriate ensuring VFM.
- To carry out regular in-house Procurement training at various times of the year.
- To maintain a schedule of Efficiency Savings made by the College during the year (EMMFE module)
- To undertake other associated duties as may be required commensurate with the grading of the post.
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
- The apprentice will be working towards the Procurement and Supply Assistant Level 3 apprenticeship standard.
- All delivered within the work place via online training and at Colchester Institute Campus.
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
- This role could lead to other Procurement roles within Colchester Institute or in other organisations. E.g. Senior Procurement Officer.
- For the right person there could be the opportunity to take a further apprenticeship to study for CIPS level 4.
- For some people this role could provide a first step towards a managerial role and the chance to study for CIPS level 5 & 6.
Reality CheckThis is an office based role, primarily working with the Finance team and using a computer for most of the day.
Skills RequiredCommunication skills, IT skills, Attention to detail, Organisation skills, Customer care skills, Administrative skills, Number skills, Logical, Team working, Initiative, Non judgemental, Patience
Qualifications RequiredGCSE or equivalent English and maths (Grade A*-C/9-4 or Equivalent) Essential