First things first – what is Procurement & Supply Chain?
‘Procurement refers to the major function of an organisation that is responsible for acquisition of required materials, services and equipment… the act of buying goods and services’ Wiki Quote.
‘Procurement is a business management function that identifies, sources, accesses and manages the external resources (materials, services and equipment) that an organisation needs to fulfil its strategic objectives’. Commercial Manager.
As well as procuring key services on behalf of the Greater London Authority (GLA) functional bodies (including the Metropolitan Police and Fire Brigade), P&SC also engages closely with the Mayor’s office and London Boroughs on major capital projects and operating contracts across the Capital. We also work with Network Rail when it is appropriate to align our practices and approach to the market.
P&SC purchases products including New trains, hydrogen buses, sponsorship and advertising, catering and cleaning, CCTV, electricity, trains, line upgrades and station upgrades. Commercial also sources materials, and provides maintenance services for buses, roads, track, signals and stations.
As an apprentice, your 2 year development programme will be made up of up to 4 placement rotations. Our aim is to equip you with the range of skills and experience you need for your successful career. We also understand that everyone’s career is different, so every apprentice’s journey is unique. Here’s an idea of the type of placements on offer:
- Rail Operations – 6 months - Responsible for London Underground, DLR, Trams, Crossrail and London Overground – supporting train, track & signalling maintenance and operation, as well as the procurement of new trains and labour
- Surface - 6 months - Responsible for traffic controllers, traffic signals, CCTV, passenger information at bus stops, cycle highway, congestion charging, Woolwich Ferry, Infrastructure Highways, roads, tunnels bridges, footways, Bus Stations, Bus stops & Shelters, piers
- Tech & Data - 6 months - Responsible for Data Transmission and Networks, End User Computing, Software and Applications, Hosting
- Corporate Services - 6 months - Responsible for Pan-TfL and GLA Services – Consultancy for Financial, Legal, Architecture, Engineering, Management & HR Services, Learning and Development, Office Services, Travel, Events, marketing and Print, Commercial Development & Secondary Revenue, Vehicles
- Buildings & Infrastructure - 6 months - Responsible for Stations upgrades & works improvement programmes, Head Office Buildings, Lifts and Escalators, Power & Cooling systems and refurbishment
- Capital Delivery - 6 months - Responsible for providing supporting projects – such as Four Line Modernisation (4LM), World Class Capacity (WCC), the Deep Tube Upgrade Programme (DTUP) and the DLR Rolling Stock Replacement Programme (DLR RSRP)
- Strategy, Planning & Governance - 6 months - Responsible for supporting the Commercial Business Areas by developing processes, establishing governance and controls, managing commercial systems, working with the supplier market, reviewing performance and building the capability of our people
Each placement will see you undertaking a wide variety of responsibilities that increase with your development on the scheme. You will start by learning simple procurements to understand the business; by the end of the scheme you will be running tenders, processing payments, managing contracts and engaging with stakeholders and suppliers, and will have an extensive understanding of commercial thinking and strategies.
The best place to find more information on the procurement lifecycle prior to applying is at the Chartered Institute of Procurement and Supplier (CIPS) - https://www.cips.org/en-GB/knowledge/procurement-cycle/
Upon successful completion of this scheme, you could roll-off into Commercial Officer or Assistant Commercial Manager role (dependent on your performance throughout the scheme) which could lead to further career development opportunities such as a Commercial Manager, Senior Commercial Manager, Head of Commercial, Commercial Director – there’s no ceiling to how high you could aim!
Successfully completing the Level 4 Diploma means you'll become eligible for membership at the Chartered Institute of Procurement and Supply (CIPS).
A career in P&SC has a lot of scope and is transferrable into both public and private sector organisations. One thing is true of all businesses; Commercial Procurement is a vital activity and will always be required, meaning that this apprenticeship is an excellent foundation for a successful career.
You must be 18 years of age by 6th September 2021 or over to be eligible for this scheme due to due to Health and Safety requirements.
In return for your commitment and expertise, you will enjoy excellent benefits and scope to grow. Rewards vary according to the business area but mostly include:
- Travel concessions - Oyster card covering zones 1-6 (covering London Underground, Docklands Light Railway, Tramlink and London's bus services displaying a red roundel)
- 29 days annual leave plus public and bank holidays
- Retail, health, leisure and travel offers
- 75% reimbursement of annual standard class season ticket loans if you use National Rail services to travel to and from work
- Discounted Eurostar travel
- Pension scheme
- Cycle2work scheme - tax efficient savings to reduce tax and National Insurance if you cycle to work
Our talented apprentices form a vital part of that vision, so it’s important that we find the best people to help us do this. We’re looking for people who are:
- Driven to succeed both personally and for the business
- Strong communicators
- Motivated to add value
As a member of the team, we’ll give you responsibility and the opportunity to add value. If you’re excited by inspiring and influencing the future of London then this is the career path for you.
We’re looking for potential in all of our apprentices. We are looking for somebody who can demonstrate our behaviours which are Active, Accountable, Direct, Fair and Consistent and Collaborative.
A minimum of 5 GCSE’s Grade A* - C or Grade 4 and above including maths and English language (or equivalents) plus 2 A-Levels grade A* - D or equivalent.
Training Provider to be confirmed.
You will be working towards a Level 4 qualification in Procurement and Supply. Typically, you will attend college and complete off the job learning 1day a week. This is currently being done through remote learning.
Whilst on the scheme, we’ll support your technical development through a wide range of on-the-job practical experiences and placements. We’ll also support your professional development through a combination of classroom-led training courses, online training courses, mentoring opportunities and structured networking opportunities. You will receive one-to-one support throughout the programme from your scheme sponsor and your Line Manager. You’ll also be connected to a ‘buddy’ who will be a more experienced apprentice from the scheme.
We also have an established Graduate and Apprentice Committee as well as an Alumni group, these groups are powerful networks in developing your understanding of the organisation, different apprenticeship schemes and opportunities to develop your career. Many current graduates and apprentices believe this to be a powerful support network and they often hold apprentice only events that are very beneficial to your continued learning.