Police Community Support Officer - Apprentice: Berkshire, Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire
Thames Valley Police
Thames Valley Police
Applications are invited for our new PCSO Apprenticeship. Forget the stereotype – modern apprenticeships offer new opportunities to earn and learn for everyone from college leavers to career changers. As an apprentice PCSO your on-the-job learning will also be accredited with a Level 4 Diploma in Community Policing Practice.
PCSO’s play an integral part in neighbourhood policing; providing a visible presence on the streets, making communities safer and stronger. You will be confident, resilient and comfortable dealing with all sections of the community with the ability to make decisions and work with partners to solve problems. A positive character with a professional approach, you act with integrity and treat individuals with respect.
- English Language or Literature and Mathematics at GCSE grade 9-4 or equivalent (e.g. Grade A-C or Level 2)
- Age 18 at date of application – no upper age limit
- Full Driving Licence (you can apply with a provisional licence but you will need to have passed your test before being allocated to an intake)
- Ten weeks’ Operational Learning at our Force Training Centre in Sulhamstead, designed to give you a solid understanding in the essentials of a PCSO's role and powers.
- Ten weeks’ Coached Patrol on your Local Police Area (LPA)
- 31 weeks Operational Deployment with coaching, support and assessment to enable you to achieve the Level 4 Certificate in Community Policing Practice.
Successful candidates will go into a recruitment pool to fill planned PCSO intakes from January 2020 onwards, subject to posting choices and vacancies.
Only one application should be submitted for either Berkshire, Buckinghamshire or Oxfordshire. Duplicate applications will be withdrawn. Please read application advice before submitting an application.
If you have any queries please contact the PCSO Recruitment Department on 0845 2 66 66 77 quoting reference 1234.
Development opportunities either within the role of a PCSO or wider within Thames Valley Police e.g. Police Officer or Police Staff Investigator.
Once trained, you will frequently be patrolling on your own, so you need to feel confident engaging with a diverse spectrum of people.
- Good standard of verbal and written English with strong communication skills
- Good standard of numeracy
- Ability to drive
- IT literate
- Ability to patrol on foot or by bicycle for long periods of time
- Ability to undertake physical personal safety training
- Ability to develop and maintain good working relationships with members of the community, partners and colleagues
- Ability to deal assertively with difficult and confrontational situations
- Ability to work on your own initiative
GCSE English and maths at Grades 9-4/A-C or equivalent, e.g. Level 2
Ploice Community Support Officer level 4
You will receive ten weeks classroom based training at our Force Training Centre followed by six weeks tutoring on your Local Police Area. To support you through our comprehensive apprenticeship programme you will continue to receive on and off the job learning over the course of 12 months.
Sign up for apprenticeship alerts - its free