Police Community Support Officer - Apprentice: Berkshire, Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire
Thames Valley Police
Thames Valley Police
Applications are invited for our new PCSO Apprenticeship
PCSO’s play an integral part in neighbourhood policing;
- Providing a visible presence on the streets,
- Making communities safer and stronger.
- You will be confident, resilient and comfortable dealing with all sections of the community with the ability to make decisions and work with partners to solve problems.
- A positive character with a professional approach, you act with integrity and treat individuals with respect.
- Once trained, you will frequently be patrolling on your own, so you need to feel confident engaging with a diverse spectrum of people.
- Ten weeks’ training at our Force Training Centre in Sulhamstead, designed to give you a solid understanding in the essentials of a PCSO's role and powers.
- Ten weeks’ tutoring on your Local Police Area (LPA)
- On and off the job learning over the course of one year to enable you to achieve the Level 4 Diploma in Community Policing Practice - Police Community Support Officer.
Successful candidates will go into a recruitment pool to fill planned PCSO intakes from October 2019 onwards, subject to posting choices and vacancies.
Development opportunities either within the role of a PCSO or wider within Thames Valley Police e.g. Police Officer or Police Staff Investigator.
Individual shift patterns will vary according to the Local Police Area. Shift allowance paid in addition to annual salary
For more information on the National Living Wage for Apprentices please visit https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
Only one application should be submitted for either Berkshire, Buckinghamshire or Oxfordshire. Duplicate applications will be withdrawn. Please read application advice before submitting an application.
If you have any queries, please contact the PCSO Recruitment Department on 0845 2 66 66 77 quoting reference 1234.
- Good standard of verbal and written English with strong communication skills
- Good standard of numeracy
- Ability to drive
- IT literate
- Ability to patrol for long periods of time
- Ability to undertake physical personal safety training
- Ability to develop and maintain good working relationships with members of the community, partners and colleagues
- Ability to deal assertively with difficult and confrontational situations
- Ability to work on your own initiative
- English Language or Literature and mathematics at GCSE grade 9-4 or equivalent (e.g. grade A-C or level 2)
- Age 18 at date of application (this is due to the nature of the roll) – no upper age limit
- Full Driving Licence (or Provisional Licence if currently learning to drive)
Police Community Support Officer Apprenticeship Level 4
You will receive ten weeks classroom based training at our Force Training Centre followed by ten weeks tutoring on your Local Police Area. To support you through our comprehensive apprenticeship programme you will continue to receive on and off the job learning over the course of 12 months.
- Employer Rights and Responsibilities
- Personal Learning and Thinking Skills
Sign up for apprenticeship alerts - its free