What will the apprentice be doing?
- You will learn how to plan and prepare for the welding of components
- You will become competent interpreting technical specifications
- You will learn how to check that materials conform to the specified grades, dimensions and thicknesses
- You will become competent preparing and inspecting preparations to weld
- You will learn how to set the welding equipment and make adjustments as required
- You will become competent making joints to the specified dimensions using appropriate welding technique
- You will learn how to visually inspect alignment and distortion of components making adjustments as required
- You will be restoring the work area and equipment to a safe and reliable condition upon completion of your work
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
Throughout the duration of the apprenticeship you will be required to attend PETA’s Havant training facility for off-the-job training. This will start as 15 months of day release to complete your foundation skills training which will include working safely, carrying out activities efficiently and effectively and using technical information. You will also learn how to prepare and use Manual Metal Arc, Metal Inert Gas and Tungsten Inert Gas welding equipment. Your Level 3 development programme will include a technical certificate and development competence qualification.
You will be completing the Level 3 Plate Welder Apprenticeship Standard. Overall duration is 42 months.
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
As a Plate Welder Apprentice this programme forms part of Relay Engineering’s succession planning for the future. You will be trained, supported and monitored throughout the process. Once the apprenticeship has been completed there may be a permanent position available for the right candidate.
Reality CheckBenefits: Wage will increase in year 2 £15,273.00, year 3 £20,298.00, year 4 £26,500.00. Auto-enrolled into the company pension scheme after qualification period. 21 days holiday plus bank holidays (3 days to be taken at Christmas). Free parking on site. Onsite restroom with kitchen facilities. Overtime available (time & half after 37 hours). We would encourage early submissions of applications, as these will be considered on receipt and suitable candidates invited for interview. We reserve the right to withdraw the advertisement early if the vacancy is filled before the closing date.
Skills RequiredCommunication skills, Problem solving skills, Logical, Motivation and drive, Open minded, Willing to develop knowledge, Willing to develop skills, Dexterity hand skills, Good hand to eye co-ordination, Good hand skills, To learn through instruction, To learn through experience
Qualifications RequiredGCSE or equivalent English (Grade A*-C/4-9 or level 2 equivalent) Essential
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade A*-C/4-9 or level 2 equivalent) Essential