Our Degree Level Apprenticeship Programme in Pharmaceutical Technology and Development (PT and D) offers an outstanding opportunity to study for a BSc (Hons) Degree in a relevant science subject with one of our key partner Universities. In PT and D, we are the bridge between forward-thinking science and innovative medicines that help millions of people. We work across the entire value chain, crafting and delivering active ingredients, formulations and devices required to provide new medicines; from supplies used in clinical trials, to developing the technology to ensure drugs can be scaled-up for commercial manufacture.
As an AstraZeneca Apprentice in PT and D you'll have an outstanding opportunity to learn within a multi-national company, gaining valuable skills whilst working closely alongside industry specialists. The workplace experience acquired will ensure you develop the skills to provide good prospects for future scientific positions in AstraZeneca and the pharmaceutical industry in general.
You'll be supported throughout your apprenticeship, both in terms of your industrial and academic work, by mentors and managers committed to developing your full potential within AstraZeneca.
These roles will allow you to achieve the Laboratory Scientist Degree Apprenticeship standard and further information of the apprenticeship standard can be found at;
As part of the apprenticeship you will work to gain a Bachelors Honours Degree (BSc Hons). We have roles that are aligned to Chemical Sciences or Pharmaceutical Sciences and the most suitable Degree option will be aligned to the specific roles. Within all our roles, you will be working with scientists from multiple disciplines to deliver the scientific understanding to ensure patient safety and progress the development of our new medicines.
Your apprenticeship will provide you with transferable core skills and knowledge. In addition, you will gain skills specific to the working practices of your department. The requirements are designed to offer stretch and progression.
Additionally, the apprenticeships are recognised by the relevant professional bodies at Registered Scientist (RSci) level, for which there is a requirement that the scientist will participate in subsequent continuing professional development on completion of the apprenticeship.
This is a 4-year Fixed Term Contract opportunity based at Macclesfield.
The workplace experience acquired will ensure you develop the skills to provide good prospects for future scientific positions in AstraZeneca and the pharmaceutical industry in general.
These positions are not open to those already educated to Bachelors degree level or above - for which we have specific Graduate Programmes, see our website for more details
- Good communication skills
- Good team working skills
- High organisation skills and confidence to work independently
- Logical thinking to be able to apply processes
- Able to apply a rational approach to problem solving, making judgements based on sound reasoning, approaching problems in a logical manner
- Concerns for standards
- High numeracy and literacy skills
- Computer literacy
- #Passion to learn
- Passion for science
We are looking for candidates with:
- Five GCSEs (or equivalent) grades 9-4 including Maths, English and Science
- To have achieved or predicted to achieve a minimum of 112 UCAS points on the 2018 tariff from your top 3 A levels (or equivalent)
- To have achieved or predicted to achieve an A Level (or equivalent) in Chemistry or Biology at Grade B or above. Candidates with a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in a scientific discipline will be considered but must provide additional details of the units studied on the course as part of their application
Apprentices will develop the broad scientific knowledge, skills and behaviours required for a career in the chemical industry.
The course combines an academic foundation with the development of vocational and key skills in the workplace.
- Fundamental Physical Chemistry
- Fundamental Inorganic Chemistry
- Fundamental Organic
- Introduction to Chemical Analysis
- Introduction to Workplace
- Laboratory Scientist Skills
- Intermediate Physical Chemistry
- Intermediate Inorganic Chemistry
- Intermediate Organic Chemistry
- Applied Chemistry for Industry
- Communication and Research
- Laboratory Scientist Skills 2
- Advanced Inorganic Chemistry
- Advanced Organic Chemistry
- Spectroscopy and Instrumental
- Specialism Units - apprentices will choose one from:
- Pharmaceutical Chemistry
- Green Chemistry
- Business Improvement
- Workplace Project
- Advanced Physical Chemistry
- Advanced Instrumental Analysis
- Topics in Chemistry - apprentices will choose two from:
- Advanced Pharmaceutical Chemistry
- Advanced Green Chemistry
- Drug Target Interactions
- Chemistry in Society
- Project and Personal Development
Apprentices will also work on projects, agreed with their employer, that apply what they have learned in their organisation.