The Apprenticeship is geared toward training the next generation of Light Commercial Vehicle Service Technicians. But what does the role involve?
The role varies slightly by the employer, based upon the specific needs within the location. The below explanation is therefore a guide to support you in understanding what the role might entail.
Technician’s service and repair light vehicles (eg. Vans) up to 3.5 tonnes. Technicians are trained in all areas of vehicle mechanics and electronics, from engine and exhaust systems to air conditioning and security features. The duties may include:
- Service & Compliance – carrying out checks and maintenance according to the manufacturers’ guidelines.
- Repairing and replacing faulty parts and components.
- Advising the Service Workshop Controller about required repairs.
- Maintaining repair and service records.
- Vehicle diagnostics.
There are lots of opportunities to develop your career within our expanding network. Your early development is carefully mapped through your Apprenticeship journey with your learning focussed toward achieving an industry qualification.
This is the grounding for your future development within the network and opportunities exist, once qualified, to further develop your skills and to move into new roles.
We welcome applications from everyone irrespective of gender and ethnic group and appointment will be based on merit alone. Being committed to equal opportunities, if you have a disability please state this during the application process. Measures will be put in place to support you through your application and the apprenticeship journey.
Our employers dictate the remuneration that our learners receive. All employers are required to pay, at least, The National Minimum Wage.
- This exciting programme is ideal for someone who is looking to begin their journey to becoming a qualified Service Technician and who wants to develop a long-term career in an exciting and forward-thinking industry
- Experience is desirable, but not essential as we’ll teach you everything that you need to know
- Willingness to learn
- Team working/working with others
- Motivation for the role/automotive and engineering interest
- Personal responsibility and career ownership
- Problem solving
Prior Attainment: GCSEs at grades A*-C/9-4 (or equivalent) in maths and English. Predicated grades are accepted.
In Scotland, applicants must have or be predicted to achieve National 4 or above in English and maths and either a science or Technical subject. Standard Grades 1-4 and Intermediates are also accepted.
'Equivalent' grades include:
- BTEC first diplomas and certificates
- OCR Nationals
- Key Skills Level 2
- Essential Skills (Wales)
- Functional Skills Level 2
- Core Skills (Scotland)
Level 3 Light Commercial Vehicle Service Technician.
Our Apprenticeship Programme is an excellent way of ensuring we have high-quality people working with our brand today and in the future. We're looking for ambitious candidates ready to take ownership of their development, work hard to achieve their potential, and grow with an ambitious employer.
The Programme lasts for at least 30 months and you'll achieve a nationally recognised qualification as well as essential hands-on work experience.
Additional training and personal development will continue once the Apprenticeship has been completed and you are a fully qualified level 3 Technician.
We will support you to gain your Functional Skills if you require them in Maths and English.
All of our Apprentices are employed with our dealer network or one of our programme partners, and attend week-long block training at our state-of-the-art Training Centre in Coventry.
Block training is complemented by a combination of regular coaching visits from one of our experienced Coaches as well as Virtual Classroom sessions and E-Learning modules.