What will the apprentice be doing?
Alongside completing your apprenticeship qualification you will:
- Provide day to day support of lessons including preparing equipment, materials and teaching aids and tidying and cleaning after use
- Issue and receive back materials, kit and equipment from students. Check for missing and damaged equipment against inventories and inform relevant teachers
- Support the PE department in providing extra-curricular activities for students in the primary and secondary phases of the school;
- Participate in running lunch time and after school extra-curricular activities for students
- Support students and teachers during practical work, to include setting up demonstrations and equipment, providing advice to students in the development of their tasks, including the safe operation and demonstration of equipment
- To maintain the first aid bags
- To check and test equipment routinely to ensure its good safe working order and to undertake maintenance, repairs and servicing where appropriate and liaise with site team / companies to organise repairs or services of equipment
- To manage stock and equipment including stock checks ensuring sufficient replenishment of materials and recommending any additional equipment/material requirements to the head of department
- To monitor and achieve the efficient organisation of the work and storage areas and to ensure the cleanliness, safety and security of these areas at all times
- To assist with the delivery of the extensive extra curriculum programme including prepare equipment, materials and rooms, setting out of equipment, organising team kits and transport for fixtures and curriculum activities
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
- Level 3 Teaching Assistant one day a week in the workplace
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
- Progression to Teaching Assistant
- Progression to Higher Level Teaching Assistant
Reality CheckCandidates will need to demonstrate a strong interest in PE and school sport, be self-motivated, enjoy working with children and young people. Have the ability to work on their own initiative and as part of a team. Able to meet the physical demands of the tole and display an understanding and commitment to the protection of children & young people.
Skills RequiredCommunication skills, IT skills, Attention to detail, Organisation skills, Customer care skills, Problem solving skills, Administrative skills, Team working, Initiative, Physical fitness
Qualifications RequiredGCSE or equivalent English (Grade 4) Essential
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade 4) Essential