RPC is a leading commercial law firm with offices in the UK, Hong Kong and Singapore. Over the course of the two-year programme, you’ll draw upon your own ambitious and enthusiastic personality to develop your skills, learn new ones and grow your legal knowledge.
By combining a wide mix of on-the-job and off-the-job training, you’ll gain a qualification (level 3) that can lead you to apply for our solicitor apprenticeships (level 7), or other opportunities at RPC, including qualified paralegal and business services roles.
The solicitor apprenticeship requires approximately five and a half to six more years of study (taking into account exemptions from paralegal apprenticeship), also incorporating a law degree. You’ll spend 20% of your time on off-the-job learning which equates to one day each week to study. Working with our chosen providers Damar Training and The University of Law (ULaw) we will incorporate any bespoke aspects of learning that we feel appropriate to your training and future success at RPC.
Every day will be different. One day you may be working on legal administrative tasks in paralegal teams, such as minute taking and producing data reports. Another day you may be carrying out research for business support teams that could prove critical in the future. We have a broad range of practice areas to explore. Specialisms include Insurance and Commercial, and there'll be plenty of opportunities for you to get involved.
It’s not essential to have studied law before, but you’ll need good academic results and be able to show that you’re a hardworking and motivated team-player with communication skills and meticulous attention to detail to match.
This apprenticeship will take two years to complete and on qualification as a paralegal, subject to further assessment, consideration will then be given to you starting the University of Law’s solicitor apprenticeship programme with a view to becoming a fully qualified lawyer in the future. It is anticipated that the solicitor apprenticeship will take a further six years to qualification.
Along with an annual salary of £16,000 rising to £17,000 in year two, you’ll be offered a competitive and creative package of benefits. We’re all unique. And that’s why RPC’s benefits package is too.
We respect we’re all real people with passions, families and lives away from our desks. So we offer you the chance to tailor your benefits, offering choice and flexibility to everyone who works here. Our benefits package covers almost everything, from wellness festivals and social events to extra annual leave and family and wealth-related rewards.
If your online application is successful, you’ll be invited to attend an assessment day. Here, you’ll be expected to demonstrate your motivations, skills and attributes notably through an interview, a group exercise and a written task. You’ll also be given the grand tour and be introduced to some of our people to see how you might fit in to our RPC culture. Our assessment day can be run virtually if necessary.
- Knowledge and use of Microsoft Office packages e.g. Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Confident, with strong written and verbal communication skills
More broadly we are looking for individuals with the following qualities:
- Committed and willing to turn a hand to whatever tasks are needed to meet the team's aims
- Keen attention to detail
- Organised and efficient
- Interested in process and technology
- Hardworking, enthusiastic and motivated
- Ready and willing to learn
What are the basic requirements?
- GCSEs at grades A*-C/9-4 (or equivalent) in maths and English
- A Levels ABB (predicted or obtained) or BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma at Distinction, Distinction or Merit, ideally in relevant subjects or a non-law undergraduate degree* (or equivalent)
- It’s not essential to have studied law before but an appetite to learn and progress is important
* Please note that we will consider the impact of COVID-19 when reviewing all exams and assessments completed in 2020 and 2021. Please provide us with any relevant details in the mitigating circumstances box on the application form.
Level 3 Paralegal apprenticeship standard, which includes:
- Level 2 functional skills in maths and English (if required)
- End-Point Assessment (EPA)