What will the apprentice be doing?
An apprenticeship programme will allow the apprentice to follow a programme of learning supported by our designated training provider. Ascot Racecourse will provide workplace training, activity and supervision to complete the requirements of the programme.
- Interpret information and instruction
- Follow work procedures and method statements to make effective use of resources, materials, and time
- Plan and organise work (including materials and other resources)
- Setting out/marking out as appropriate
- Prepare the work area safely and conduct any pre-decoration repairs
- Identify hazards and risks in the workplace, health and safety documents and reporting incidents correctly
- Identify requirements of different buildings and sectors
- Select, use, maintain and store, paint, tools, wallcoverings, spray equipment, steps, ladders, and towers safely
- Develop tool skills (including hand and powered tools)
- Produce work to specification in accordance with building requirement
- Work to deadlines
- Work safely
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
- Painter and Decorator Apprenticeship Level 2
- Functional skills level 2, if required
- One day per week class and training in Langley college
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
If a vacancy exists in the department, an opportunity for permanent employment with an opportunity to progress to a higher apprenticeship.
Reality CheckWorking hours: Your standard hours will be 40 hours per week It is envisaged that most these 40 hours per week will be worked based on 8 hours per day, usually worked from 7.30 am to 4.30 pm, with an hour for lunch and predominantly between Monday and Friday. However, you will be required at times to work in a shift-pattern, as the seasonal workload dictates. That will include being required to work 8-hour shifts which may be any time between 7 am and 7 pm on any day of the week including Saturdays and Sundays as well as Monday to Friday. This is intended to be a flexible working arrangement and your hours will be notified to you by your Departmental Manager, as far in advance as practicably possible. Must be able to travel to site.
Skills RequiredCommunication skills, Attention to detail, Organisation skills, Customer care skills, Logical, Team working, Initiative, Safety conscious, Creativity and innovation
Qualifications RequiredGCSE or equivalent English and maths (Grade C/4 or equivalent) Desired