Requirements of the job:
- You will be providing a solid foundation of child development, an understanding of the EYFS and a positive approach to personal progression. The applicant must have an enthusiastic approach to childcare and education, with the prospect of furthering their personal development through training provided, alongside in house mentoring and participating in daily routines and experiences provided
It is essential you also aspire to have the following qualities:
- A warm and inviting smile that encourages every child to feel safe and secure and smile from ear to ear
- Your sense of humour must include being able to laugh at yourself, enjoy silly moments, encourage playfulness and chuckle at jokes which may not be funny!! Practice that laugh!!
- Warm and affectionate hugs are an essential, a little squeeze works wonders!!
- A dash of craziness daily will be required to be able to transform into an astronaut, a doctor or even a princess, to be able to use your imagination by pretending to eat play dough masterpieces, talk on the telephone to mums, dads and grandparents and drink a multitude of concoctions. Don't worry an acting degree is not required, this isn't Coronation Street!!
- The ability to share reading books, back to front, upside down with additional characters, to enhancing the stories and widen the children's fascination
- To not be offended when children cover their ears when you sing, singing in tune isn't necessary, but being able to keep the crowd engaged with bad singing is a must!!! We are not Simon Cowell, so do not worry!
- Be accountable to Nursery Practitioners, Room Leader, Manager and Nursery Director
- To provide a high standard of care, implementing the daily routine working within the EYFS
- To work together as a team, liaise with parents and carers, sharing information about child development
- To follow and implement all nursery policies and procedures and adhere to all statutory legislation and guidelines
To be an effective and positive Key worker, preparing and planning education activities and enhancing children's learning and keeping accurate documentation. At St Bernards, fun and laughter is a large part of your working day, be prepared to be loved, become part of an amazing family unit and to leave St Bernards everyday with your heart so very full!!
To progress to Level 3 in Childcare for the right candidate.
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
For more information please visit: https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
- Good timekeeping
- Great if able to work using own initiative
- Outgoing personality
- Willingness to work as part of a team
- Commitment to a pathway of learning in a vocational setting
- Must be committed to a career in childcare
- Good numeracy - A-C/8-4 Grades in maths or equivalent
- Good literacy - A-C/8-4 Grades in English or equivalent
- Full training to Level 2 Early Years Practitioner
- Functional Skills Level 2 in maths and English if required