For the right applicant, the company is offering an exciting opportunity. You will shadow qualified technicians at work so that you are able to learn how to service, maintain and repair vehicles.
As you progress through the course and your confidence and experience grows, you will be able to start completing tasks on your own. Off-the-job training will be provided by North London Garages on a day release basis.
A vehicle Technicians role falls into three categories this includes:
- Servicing Vehicles – working on manufacturer servicing guidelines to ensure the vehicle is running at optimum performance
- Maintenance – replacing parts and components before they fail
- Repair – diagnosing and repairing problems that cause vehicle failure
- On completion of the Apprenticeship Programme, apprentices will be trained and qualified as a Vehicle Maintenance and Repair Technician
- Employment after completion of the third year is subject to performance and a position being available
- Future prospects include MOT Tester, Senior Technician, supervisory and Management positions
There is a high expectation that successful candidates will work hard, be conscientious and represent the company well on all occasions. Appearance, attitude, timekeeping and personal presentation will all be taken into account throughout the interview process.
The Apprenticeship National Minimum Wage guide (ANMW): https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
The ideal candidate must have a keen interest and a strong passion for the motor vehicle industry. Some previous work experience would be an advantage; however, it is not essential.
You will need to demonstrate:
- Excellent practical skills
- The ability to work quickly and pay attention to detail
- Good communication skills
- The ability to follow written and verbal instructions
- A positive and ‘can do’ attitude
- Be an excellent timekeeper
- Be responsible and share a true passion for motor vehicles with a willingness and desire to learn
- Maths & English at GCSE or equivalent at grade 7 - 4/A - C are preferred but not essential
- As part of our Initial Assessment process we carry out a basic skills assessment to measure your current level in English, maths and ICT. NLG is looking for applicants that are capable of achieving at least Level 1 Functional Skill in each subject at the assessment
- Candidates with a GCSE or equivalent at grade C/4 or higher in any of these subjects will not have to study them as part of their apprenticeship
Level 2 Vehicle Maintenance and Repair:
- Diploma in Light Vehicle Maintenance and Repair Principles
- Employee Rights and Responsibilities (ERR)
- Personal Learning and Thinking Skills (PLTS)
- Functional skills if required
North London Garages GTA Ltd is London’s leading motor vehicle training provider. It has provided training for people wishing to enter the Motor Industry for over 49 years.
You will shadow qualified technicians at work so that you are able to learn how to service, maintain and repair vehicles. As you progress through the course and your confidence and experience grows, you will be able to start completing tasks on your own.
One of our assessors will visit you in your workplace to mentor you and assess your competence regularly. This is part of our close support network NLG provides to ensure that Apprentices are both enjoying and succeeding in their course.
North London Garages offer 'roll-on-roll-off day release college courses enabling starts every 4 to 6 weeks at our Enfield site.