Waterside Training, in partnership with Globe Heat Treatment Services Ltd based at Knowsley has a fantastic opportunity for an apprentice to join their team in the manufacture of furnace heating elements as a Multi-Skilled Engineering Technician.
Globe Heat Treatment Services Ltd are a small family run company based on Knowsley Industrial Park in Merseyside, who have been in business for over 40 years manufacturing and selling heat treatment equipment to customers all over the world manufacturing high quality heat treatment equipment and high velocity gas equipment. We have a team of highly skilled technicians who design and manufacture our equipment in-house who have a broad knowledge of the industry and its requirements and we can offer advice and guidance on your heat treatment requirements.
The four-year multi-skilled engineering apprenticeship will initially cover broad based training in Electrical and Mechanical skills at Waterside Training in St Helens with years 2,3 and 4 working on plant at Knowsley alongside professional technicians tackling “real life” activities whilst continuing to attend college day release up to HNC in Electrical Engineering following a Level 3 Apprenticeship Standard.
Engineers work as part of a team to provide engineering support to multi-million pound plant operations, to maintain and repair equipment to improve efficiency and product quality along with carrying out fault finding diagnosis and problem solving.
As a Multi-Skilled Engineering Technician you will be involved in both Electrical and Mechanical activities assisting the engineering teams in various job roles working within one of our several workshops designing, manufacturing and testing our electrical heat treatment equipment and high velocity gas treatment equipment. You will be trained in both electrical and mechanical techniques in assisting with preventative and routine maintenance processes in the manufacturing of heat treatment systems and furnace heating elements. We also have, an in-house furnace where heat treatments can be carried out for customers requiring that service. Our products are built to the highest standards, such as heat treatment units, temperature recorders, temperature programmer/controllers, ceramic heating elements and thermocouples.
During the apprenticeship the candidate will learn all of the skills required to become a valued member of the team. Whilst not an exhaustive list, the skills and knowledge gained during this apprenticeship will include:
- Testing Units such as HT Units and calibration of Instruments
- Quality checking
- Will be involved in other activities such as; manufacture of furnace heating elements using a lathe and MIG & TIG welder and various other assembly and manufacturing tasks using spot welder, pillar drill, bench grinders and metalworkers
- There would be some elements of warehousing involved, including assisting in the stores with picking stock, warehouse duties and ensuring organisation in work areas is maintained
- Understanding of lean principles
- Understanding of preventative and routine maintenance procedures
- This programme offers the opportunity to progress on to higher positions within the company on completion of the apprenticeship. Many companies offer continued academic progression which could then lead to either a HND or a sponsored Degree along with progression throughout the company. Our intention is to recruit an apprentice who will become a valued permanent member of our production team on completion of the apprenticeship
- This would be a four-year apprenticeship programme. You will need to be able to travel to both Waterside Training St Helens and Globe Heat Knowsley to carry out your on and off site training. Waterside Hours; 8:45 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday to Friday Globe Heat plant, you will work 5 days a week, Monday to Thursday from 8:00 to 17:00 and on Friday’s from 08:00 to 14:00 covering 40 hours per week. Year 1 will be based at Waterside, St Helens, Years 2, 3 and 4 will be site based. This role can involve standing for long periods of time
- Waterside is looking for high calibre candidates who are self-motivated, reliable, proactive, enthusiastic and very well organised who can work excellently within a team who is driven to succeed and grow in a fast pace environment to join our apprenticeships to become the next highly skilled engineers and technicians of the future
- Candidates should have a keen and enthusiastic interest in practical based work and manufacturing applications and have strong communication skills and team leadership qualities
- Prospective candidates should have a keen and demonstrable interest in practical based work as well as having an enthusiastic approach to work with a positive attitude and willingness to learn. Candidates must be highly self-motivated and have a flexible approach to work; possess good organisation/planning and communication/team working skills with drive to develop
- 5 GCSE's A*-C or Level 9-5 in English, mathematics and Science are essential along with any practical related technology subjects, such as Engineering, Electronics, Design Technology, Resistant Materials would be desirable
- If you are taking your examinations this year then please supply your predicted mock grades when asked in the application process
Science Industry Maintenance Technician Level 3 Apprenticeship Standard:
- Apprentices will complete a programme of both theoretical and practical learning over a four-year period. Initially, based at Waterside Training undertaking broad based training during year 1 in Electrical and Mechanical techniques before moving to a programme of working on site for a global organisation with experienced engineering technician's tackling “real life” activities. You will receive both vocational and academic training on and off site
- During the first year from September 21 to July 22 you will develop your skills and knowledge by attending Waterside Training Limited on a block release basis to carry out foundation training in Electrical and Mechanical techniques working from 8:45 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. with one day spent at St Helens College, Technology Campus, St Helens to attend your academic training day from 9:00 a.m. to 6/7:00 p.m
- Your academic training will run over the first two years from September 21 to July 23 on City & Guilds Diploma in Engineering giving both academic and workshop skills
- Additional training will also be completed during your apprenticeship to cover the requirements of the programme such as Health & Safety Training, Lean Manufacturing and or specific training as advised by the company
- From July 21 you will commence your full site based training at Globe Heat 4 days per week with day release to continue your academic training. Your site based work will follow the Level 3 Science Industries Manufacturing Technician standard and you will continue to attend your company site for the remainder of your apprenticeship programme
- Waterside will assign you a mentor/assessor to guide you through the apprenticeship and carry out six weekly reviews along with guiding you through your standards through portfolio building, behavioural logs, technical discussions, observations to check competency levels prior to embarking on the End Point Assessment