There is an exciting opportunity for an apprentice to work alongside qualified technicians where you will be trained in all aspects of service, maintenance and repair of vehicles.
A Car Technicians job falls into three categories:
- Servicing vehicles – working on manufacturer servicing guidelines to ensure the vehicle is running at optimum performance
- Maintenance – replacing parts and components before they fail
- Repair – repairing problems that cause vehicle failure
Following the completion of your Intermediate Apprenticeship (18 months), we recommend that you continue onto an advanced apprenticeship (12 months) to become a fully qualified Light Vehicle Technician. There are then a number of opportunities for progression within the Motor Industry.
The specific hours and days that you will be required to work and attend college will be discussed in more detail at the employer interview and by North London Garages once you have been accepted on to the Apprenticeship programme.
The successful candidate will be willing and able to travel to their place of work for 4 days and attend training at one of our centres for one day a week. This may involve commuting.
The ideal candidate must have a keen interest and a strong passion for the motor vehicle industry. Some previous work experience would be an advantage, however it is not essential.
You will need to demonstrate:
- Excellent practical skills
- The ability to work quickly and pay attention to detail
- Good communication skills
- The ability to follow written and verbal instructions
- Excellent time keeping skills
- Positive and ‘can do’ attitude
- Share a true passion for motor vehicles
- Willingness and desire to learn
- Maths & English at GCSE or equivalent grade A* to C/ 9 to 4 are preferred but not essential
- As part of our Initial Assessment process we carry out a basic skills assessment to measure your current level in English, maths and ICT
Level 2 Autocare Technician
Successful candidates will have full time employment with training in a garage and day release at one of our training centres or other approved college to work towards achieving Level 2 qualification (over 18 months), leading onto a Level 3 qualification over a further 12 months.
You will shadow qualified technicians at work so that you are able to learn first-hand how to service, maintain and repair vehicles. As you progress through the course and your confidence and experience grows, you will be able to start completing tasks on your own.
One of our assessors will visit you in your workplace to mentor you and assess your competence regularly. This is part of our close support network NLG provides to ensure that Apprentices are both enjoying and succeeding in their course.
To apply, you must be able to travel to college once a week.
Functional skills if needed.