What will the apprentice be doing?
Your role will be to undertake these duties without direct supervision, working within broad procedural guidelines. To ensure that total confidentiality is maintained in that no information about patients, either medical or personal, is disclosed to persons other than those employed by, or attached to, the Practice for which such information is relevant.
Duties will include:
- Be able to undertake the open and closing down procedures of the Practice.
- To take messages for GP’s from patients and other agencies.
- To attend all relevant meetings and training sessions as required.
- To maintain filing administrative systems so that written or computer information is easily accessible and secure.
- To receive and initiate outgoing telephone calls in order to facilitate timely and appropriate communications with others, taking messages and dealing with queries.
- To maintain adequate supplies of office and patient stationery in order to perform your duties.
- Ensure an effective and efficient service is provided to patients and any other visitors to the practice updating the Visit Book and Confidentiality sheets.
- Scanning and recording all visitor sheets and confidentiality sheets in an auditable manner.
- Deal with all general enquiries, explain procedures and make new and follow-up appointments.
- Using your own judgment and communication skills ensure that patients with no prior appointment but who need urgent consultation are seen in a logical and non-disruptive manner.
- Enter requests for home visits onto the computer system, ensuring careful recording of all relevant details and refer to on-call Doctor.
- Summarize new patient records from paper records and GP2GP generated records.
- Prepare lists for all surgeries and clinics held, for the following day as a backup in the event of computer failure.
- Make sure the petty cash float is accurate and appropriate change – report to the Practice Management Team monthly to give receipts and cash flow information.
- Enter patient information on to the computer as required.
- Record insurance and solicitor notes request in the correct manner (refer to protocol)
- Ensure that all new patients are registered onto the computer system promptly and accurately.
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
Business Administrator (Level 3) Apprenticeship Standard with AMSPAR
Level 2 Functional Skills in English Level 2 Functional Skills in maths
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
To be discussed at interview.
Skills RequiredCommunication skills, Attention to detail, Organisation skills, Customer care skills, Administrative skills
Qualifications RequiredGCSE or equivalent English & Maths (Grade C/4 or above) Essential