Mechanical Machinist Apprenticeship
BAE SYSTEMS GLOBAL COMBAT SYSTEMS MUNITIONS LIMITED
National Apprenticeship Service
As a Mechanical Machinist Apprentice, you need to program, set-up, operate and manage CNC machine tools in a production environment. This highly skilled engineering role also involves working with other auxiliary equipment such as conventional machine tools, press machines, robotics and measuring systems.
As a Mechanical Machinist Apprentice, you will also be required to create detailed engineering drawings and use a full range of measuring equipment.
What Does The Apprenticeship Involve?
- The 1st year of the apprenticeship will require your attendance at our training provider to complete a PEO in mechanical engineering. This will be your initial introduction to machine tools in a controlled environment with a strong focus on working safely. At the same time you will attend college once a week to gain a B-Tech in mechanical engineering
- The 2nd, 3rd and 4th year will be on site, working alongside experienced technicians on a 1:1 basis for 2 to 3 month periods, on a rotation basis, so that every element of the role is taught. This includes reading technical and engineering drawings, measuring parts as required and setting and operating machine tools in a production environment
A great job after completion. Around 95% of our apprentices choose to stay with us and go on to have really successful careers. You can choose to go for promotion and progression or continue learning in the role you’ve moved into.
When you successfully complete your apprenticeship, we will help you to move into a suitable role, subject to the requirements of the business.
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
For more information please visit: https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
A BAE Systems Apprenticeship gives you a competitive salary while working towards a nationally recognised qualification, the support of an apprentice network, and the opportunity to work on cutting edge projects with people who are leaders in their field.
Please see the selection process below:
The process consists of five stages:
- An online application
- Online test
- Application review
- Competency interview or assessment centre
- Medical and security checks
Depending on fulfilment of the requirements, the process can take until July/August to complete and final offers are made.
- None specified
- We’re looking for enthusiastic people who are keen to learn and give an Apprenticeship opportunity their all
- Diversity strengthens our business and we encourage people from all walks of life to apply, regardless of gender or ethnicity
- You don’t need to know everything about your chosen area of work – we’ll train you and give you the qualifications you need to progress in a career in your chosen field. We only ask that you demonstrate interest, passion and commitment to what you want to do
- 5 GCSEs grade A*-C/9-4 (or equivalent) including maths, English and science/technical subject
Training Provider to be confirmed.
The apprentice will be working towards an Engineering Technician Standard [Level 3].
Whilst working full-time, you will be provided with off-the-job training delivered in dedicated in-house training facilities or at our partner colleges or universities.
Sign up for apprenticeship alerts - its free
People who applied for this apprenticeship also applied for:
This page contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0. The information provider is the Education and Skills Funding Agency.