As an apprentice Mechanical Fitter your training will focus on traditional and emerging engineering skills. These skills will be developed to allow you to identify faults and consequently return equipment to working condition.
Having been trained to use many types of hand and machine tools a mechanical fitter may even make the replacement part themselves.
You will be involved in:
- Installation of a wide range of equipment
- Commissioning of a wide range of equipment
- Maintenance of a wide range of equipment
- Repair of a wide range of equipment
The scope of work can be extensive including engines, pumps, valves and hydraulics equipment through to complex weapons systems and even nuclear reactor systems. A mechanical fitter constantly faces new challenges as engineering problems are always arising that need to be overcome.
We hope to offer full employment on completion of the apprenticeship to the successful candidates.
Successful candidates will need to satisfy Ministry of Defence security requirements and may be required to complete a medical assessment.
- Ability to work effectively as a part of a team and build strong relationships with co-workers
We are looking for candidates who can demonstrate clear potential to continuously grow and develop their skills, and who can match this with the drive and dedication needed to become a success in the beginning stages of their career.
We want to meet with people who can demonstrate a strong aptitude for and interest in technical-based subject matter.
Other specific areas of competency we require you to demonstrate are as follows:
- Qualified to the standard specified above depending on your chosen apprenticeship
- Robust work ethic and willingness to take responsibility for personal, academic and vocational development
- Safety conscious and show high levels of reliability, punctuality and dependability
To apply you will need the following qualifications:
- Minimum either achieved or predicted GCSE Grade C or 4 in English, maths and science or equivalent
- Engineering Technician Level 3 Apprenticeship Standard
All training to be provided by City College Plymouth in collaboration with the company themselves throughout the duration of the apprenticeship.