SOCOTEC is the UK's leading provider of testing, inspection, and compliance services.
At Align you’ll play your part in delivering a landmark project of international significance. The twin-bore tunnels through the Chiltern Hills, five ventilation shafts and the Colne Valley Viaduct form a key section of the HS2 route.
You’ll be training for your Level 3 NVQ in Laboratory and Associated Technical Activities (LATA). Your goal will be to learn how to test construction materials, including concrete, aggregates, and earthworks, to ensure they are safe to be used on construction sites. There is a physical nature to some of the work carried out such as some heavy lifting of sample bags is required from time to time so you will be required to able lift weights up to 20kg’s at a time.
Specific duties would include:
- Carry out testing in the laboratory to assess compliance with the relevant British, European, or site-specific specification
- Maintain high standards of work and compliance with UKAS accreditation requirements
- Comply with quality system for materials testing laboratory, developing an understanding of materials reporting
- Produce factual reports that inform the project teams and managers within agreed deadlines
- Maintain equipment calibrations and notify the lab manager of any defects requiring attention
- Proactively communicate within the team to ensure effective performance
- Comply with laboratory and site safety procedures
- Responsible for maintaining training records
Working as part of a close-knit team, you won’t be alone. You’ll be supported and guided, learning on the job, by a team of experienced materials technicians to gain official qualifications that’ll boost your career.
Over 21 months, you’ll devote 20% of your 40 hours of working time towards a Level 3 Laboratory Technician apprenticeship. You’ll be trained by an expert tutor from Tiro as well as an experienced mentor at SOCOTEC, who together, will make sure you develop the knowledge, skills, and work habits you’ll need to succeed in your career. The best part? You’ll be earning £15,000 a year while you learn.
Tiro and SOCOTEC’s goal is to transform you into a fully competent technician, ideally open to accepting a full-time, permanent position within the SOCOTEC team.
Once you’ve completed your apprenticeship, you may be offered a more permanent job with Socotec . If not, your qualification will open doors elsewhere in a related field. Or you might decide to move on to a higher-level apprenticeship where available.
Due to the location of the site Align JV are offering subsidised housing for £10 a night to all apprentices which can be used throughout the week.
- Good IT skills - Knowledge of Microsoft Office packages e.g. Excel
- Excellent communication skills
- Interested in construction, science and laboratory testing
- Proactive in identifying problems and defects
- Be willing to work outside of a pre-defined scope to help the team move through initiatives
- Committed to self-development
- Accurate and meticulous person
- Creative and innovative
- A strong team player
- Good use of your initiative
Ideally GCSEs at grades A*-C/9-4 (or equivalent) including English, maths and a science (however lower grades will be considered, so don’t be put off).
Full UK driving licence (due to travelling to various locations within the site once trained and qualified).
- Level 3 Laboratory Technician apprenticeship standard
- Level 2 Functional Skills in English and maths (if required)