You will join a driven and motivated team of Apprentices, within a leading manufacturing organisation, supplying the Worldwide Construction Industry. During your Apprenticeship, you will gain knowledge, skills and experience, while completing tasks, assembling Construction Products, alongside gaining your formal qualifications, which are recognised and fully transferrable within the manufacturing sector. You will be working in assembly production areas within the business, which are fast paced, physically demanding. You will be assembling components to a high-quality standard and to strict deadlines.
This apprenticeship has been designed to run for 15 months. Your first 12 months are based on working towards your Level 2 Diploma in Manufacturing and your skills, knowledge, and behaviours as you develop your knowledge of manufacturing principles and techniques alongside your work skills.
Following your first 12 months with Caterpillar, you will then be entered for your end-point assessment.
Your end point assessment will comprise of two assessments:
- Observation with questions and answers
- Professional discussion
Upon successful completion, you will achieve the Lean Manufacturing Operative Standard and your Level 2 Diploma in Manufacturing.
To be successful for this role, you will have a keen sense of achievement and take pride in the work you undertake.
- Adhering to Caterpillar Values in Action
- Follow and utilise Caterpillar Production System principles
- Follow documented standard work procedures/instructions to perform safe and defect free assembly of parts and components
- Using various hand, power tools and lifting equipment provided in the work area
- Support continuous improvement reporting
- Working within the production line assembling Caterpillar products
- Following written and verbal instructions
- Operate built products where required
- Working in fast paced production lines
- Adhere to the Organisation's health & safety policy and safe working practices
- Working to real time orders and targets
- Completing your qualification within the Academy period to a high standard
- Gaining experience
An Apprenticeship Standard as a Lean Manufacturing Operative is designed to help you progress your career within the manufacturing industry. The qualifications are related to jobs roles such as: Manufacturing Operator, Assembly Operator, Production Assistant or working towards, Team Leader within a wide range of manufacturing disciplines.
Caterpillar’s Apprenticeship scheme offers an opportunity to gain 15 months experience within a Global Leading Manufacturer, you may be eligible to move onto a further Apprenticeship or to apply for any internal vacancies available.
Due to the nature of this role and site safety requirements, you will need to be aged 18 or over by any applicable start date. During your interview, possible start dates will be discussed.
You will always be emailed, text and called to confirm your interview slot.
- Repetitive role
- Working in a manufacturing environment can be loud, fast-paced, with the need to meet targets/deadlines
- Role will involve physical tasks
- Must be able to follow instructions every time to ensure the quality of the product is consistent
- May be standing for long periods
- You must be able to travel to the vacancy location on a daily basis and be on time
- Company share scheme
- Annual holiday allowance of 262.5 hours
- Caterpillar advantage scheme, discount site for many major retailers
- Access to our onsite Gym. Recently refurbished with £30,000 worth of new equipment
- Access to our sports and social facility
- Free parking
All training takes place at the Caterpillar Desford Site. Your tutors come to you.
Day shift work will be required along with undertaking of the training programme and work placement training.
You may be required to bank hours occasionally to support production peaks and troughs.
The Apprenticeship National Minimum Wage guide (ANMW): https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
The annual salary applicable to this apprenticeship is: £13,470 pa, There is also potential to receive a production bonus subject to criteria being met.
- Organisation and coordination
- Attention to detail
- Ability to meet the demands of the role
- Interest in Manufacturing/Engineering and Automotive construction products
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to communicate and work efficiently and maturely within a team
- Be resilient and driven to achieve
- Comfortable working in a team
- Committed to achieving goals/targets
- Ambition to work with a global leader
- Keen to learn and develop skills
- Mature and driven
- High level of motivation
- 9-4 or Level 2 in English A*-C (or equivalent)
- 9-4 or Level 2 in maths A*-C (or equivalent)
- 9-4 or Level 2 in 2 x other subjects A*-C (or equivalent)
- Caterpillar Production Systems Principles Training
- Monthly review and coaching
- First class Health and Safety and manufacturing training
Leading to achievement of:
- Level 2 Diploma in Manufacturing (Skills and Knowledge)
- Intermediate Level Apprenticeship (Level 2)
- Fixed term contract (15 months)