Management Degree Apprenticeship
Nottingham Trent University
Aimed at anyone looking to start or change their career, our Management Degree Apprenticeship is a 3-4-year programme, designed to develop you into one of our future leaders in the operation, the heart of our business. You will gain management responsibility within your first couple of months, as well as a structured programme that will mean you rotate through a number of our busiest departments. Alongside this, Gist will support you in gaining a BA in Leadership and Management at Nottingham Trent University, giving you a fantastic knowledge base alongside your day to day role.
In year one, you will join our Head Office in Basingstoke and be introduced to what we do as a business. We will then start you off on your first placement in one of the following areas:
- Business Solutions – This department works to solve logistics problems for both internal and external customers, from redesigning a transport solution to implementing new business, you will have the opportunity to get involved in every level of change
- Network Planning Centre – In the NPC you will get a broad understanding of the whole of our UK network. The team plans and ensures execution of all the movements of our vehicles – from suppliers to depots and on to stores
- Network Customer Operations – The NCO is a new department designed to act as a first point of contact for food manufacturers and retail customers, and is responsible for handling any queries or issues faced by our customers
- Global Freight – Our global control tower provides end-to-end supply chain management across the world, for the movement of chilled, perishable, and hazardous products by air, road and sea
- Operations – In our Thatcham depot we service over 150 M&S stores. Receiving goods from all over the country, processing and picking ready for store deliveries that are measured to achieve 100% accuracy
Moving into your second year we will give you more exposure to the other departments above, either in two six month or 1-year rotations depending on the department. You will gain more management experience and continue working through your degree, looking at modules such as People & Talent Management and Problem Analysis & Business Improvement.
In your third and fourth years you will be continuing in the role as a Team Manager or equivalent and beyond as an Operations Manager, depending on your performance and aspiration. Alongside this you will complete modules as part of your degree in areas such as Managing Innovation & Change and Contemporary Issues in 21st Century Organisations.
Throughout your programme you will also receive additional training in areas such as Leadership and Communication, coaching from your site leadership teams and mentorship from a senior leader in the business.
The environment is fast-paced and not your normal 9-5 and you will experience a full 24-hour operational cycle through various shifts and operational peaks, including Christmas.
You will therefore be required to work shifts, at points, on nights and over weekends in order to ensure that our operation continues to deliver for our customer. You could be in our fridges at 2am on a Saturday night ensuring that our customers are getting their product or liaising with our drivers to make sure our vehicles are meeting deadlines and have agreed routes around the UK that will reach our customers in good time.
Throughout your time with Gist you will receive training and development in order to set you up for success. The programmes are designed to equip you with the knowledge, best practice, skills and techniques to develop your capabilities. This will be delivered in conjunction with your regular progress meetings to ensure you are working towards a career plan that meets your needs and aspirations.
We are looking for driven and engaging apprentices who:
- Aim to be a future leader in our business and constantly look to develop yourself on that journey
- Will thrive in a fast paced and challenging business which will see you succeed when pushed out of your comfort zone
- Are a credible, engaging and driven natural leader who is able to take a team on a journey with a shared goal
Please be aware that if you have completed a previous qualification in management, leadership or business you will need to flag this to us when you apply, as it could mean you are not eligible for the apprenticeship.
- Proactively look to continually improve things around them
- Feel change isn’t a scary word for them and who thrive on new challenges, new people and pick things up quickly and effectively
- Want to work with people and understand how to get a team behind working towards a target
- Have achieved, or are on track to achieve BBB at A-Level (or equivalent)
By the start of the programme you will need to be able to provide your A-Level certificates.
Training to be provided
Chartered Manager Degree apprenticeship standard.
You will attend lectures every 6-8 weeks at Nottingham Trent University and study modules such as Managing Innovation & Change, Business Performance and People & Talent Management.
You will bring the knowledge you learn from your studies into real life experience, which will quickly build your knowledge of how businesses operate and develop yourself as a leader.
Sign up for apprenticeship alerts - its free
People who applied for this apprenticeship also applied for:
This page contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0. The information provider is the Education and Skills Funding Agency.