What will the apprentice be doing?
There is a lot involved in keeping HGVs on the road, so you will gain a full understanding of the importance of 6-week checks, Operators (O) licence’s and legal obligations and as a Technician apprentice, you will receive training to the manufacturer and DVSAs standard A Heavy Vehicle Service Technician will inspect, maintain, and repair large vehicles weighing 3.5 tonnes and over such as HGV's and buses.
- Servicing – carrying out checks
- Maintenance – replacing / repairing engine parts
- Diagnostics – using the latest diagnostic equipment As an apprentice, you will observe, learn and gain an understanding of a wide range of engineering skills and processes while under the instruction of skilled technical staff
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
Training is delivered in the workplace and on block release to Remit’s Automotive Academy in Derby. There are a total of 15 x 1 week blocks over the 3 year programme. The costs of hotel accommodation, food and travel are met by the employer and there will be no cost to you.
You will also receive 1-2-1 support from your Development Coach to help you achieve:
- IMI Heavy Vehicle Service and Maintenance Technician Level 3
- Functional Skills Level 2 in English & maths (if required)
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
- As an apprentice, you will be a full time employee from the very beginning and while training you’ll be earning your place as an integral part of the workshop team
- Once you have achieved your qualification, you will have further opportunities to progress to positions such as Shift Supervisor, Service Manager or even Master Technician
Skills RequiredEnthusiasm to learn, Mechanically minded
Qualifications RequiredGCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade 3/D) Essential
GCSE or equivalent English (Grade 3/D) Essential